Ugh.....Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the p/n !
Glad you’re back in business.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Thanks man! I am super happy to be back in my truck and the fact that it was a easy fix and they did I not need to open up the trans even more so. Does anyone know if it is a new part number on the pan or the same one? Also i noticed MGD has been banned to day. Now we can get this forum on a positive helpful note again.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I hate that I have this outcome, but my pan appears to still have a leak after the first repair. It's not as much as before, but I've cleaned it up multiple times and the oil drop on the head of the bolt holding the oil plan keeps coming back, along with other signs of residual oil in the vicinity. Damn it.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
......Also i noticed MGD has been banned to day. Now we can get this forum on a positive helpful note again.

FINALLY! Dang, that took a long while!

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Thanks man! I am super happy to be back in my truck and the fact that it was a easy fix and they did I not need to open up the trans even more so. Does anyone know if it is a new part number on the pan or the same one? ......

I looked up the part # you listed and it fits all F150s with the 3.5TT, even the Raptor, so I would say it is the same... Heck, you can get brand new OEM pans for $35 on eBay. LOL

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good info. So it seems like it the same model pan thats just re-sealed correctly. I bet its due to 1 guy or machine at the assembly plant....

If mine leaks im buying the pan and re-sealing it myself so I know its done right. 16k miles, fingers crossed.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update for everyone,
For those who don't change the oil themselves, some techs are idiots and break the
yellow plastic drain plug. This is what happened in my case and caused the leak.

I bought 4 extra yellow plugs and keep them in the glovebox

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small update for everyone,
For those who don't change the oil themselves, some techs are idiots and break the
yellow plastic drain plug. This is what happened in my case and caused the leak.

I bought 4 extra yellow plugs and keep them in the glovebox

Yeah, I read about the problems, so I bought a few extra before even changing my oil. Then I changed my oil a few days ago and it was dirt simple and quite easy to remove/install the drain plug. I suppose it's too simple for the dealership goons...

The only part to wear out is the O-ring, but I can see where the plastic twist-plug might get brittle after a few hundred thousand miles near its end-of-life and the lock tabs break off and need replaced.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the second attempt to repair my oil pan leak, they installed a new pan. I picked it up and have run it for a few days. It's leaking worse now that it ever has, so that attempt at repair was definitely not successful.

I stopped by the dealership today and had a good chat with the service manager. The attitudes were positive, but, unfortunately, no real breakthrough or insights into why the first two attempts at repair were unsuccessful. I did suggest that on the next attempt they drive the truck a few miles with the skid plates off and then recheck for leaks before they declare the repair complete.

I scheduled my truck back to the shop on Monday for the third repair attempt.

This is getting tiring.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pan leaks are next to impossible for your average dealership tech to fix. I'm always hearing horror stories. It takes 3 days to do it right or you'll contaminate the matting surface. Most dealers won't tie up a lift for 3 days for a 2 hour book time job.

You also need hondabond, permatex ultra grey(nissan/subaru) or fipg(toyota). Anything else is junk. Not sure what ford uses.