GEN 2 Tune 2017 ford raptor - yes!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miker397

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the FP tune as the dealers here will be forced to acknowledge it and it will sell like hot cakes if offered.

Regarding the Octane/CAI/Exhaust debate I have had my share of experience with turbo charged cars, most recently 7 years with a Nissan GTR that I sold earlier this year.

Firstly the CAI, here it depends on if the ECU uses a MAF (Mass Air Flow) based approach or a speed density based approach. For Speed Density changing the intake pipe size will have no negative effect, it actually help the turbo built boost, commonly referred to as spool, in earlier in the RPM curve. However, when it comes to a MAF based approach changes to the pipe size will have a drastic effect on the tune as the MAF sensor has a fixed equation that is dependent on the pipe size and the location of the MAF in the air stream. Where increasing the pipe size/MAF location will require a tune. A better flowing CAI with similar pipe sizing and MAF location will help the turbo spool faster.

When it comes to the 2017 Ford Raptor I actually have no idea what kind of approach it has, we need the help of someone who actually has one

Second discussion is the exhaust. A turbo engine will always benefit from a larger exhaust. I tested 76mm, 90mm and 102mm exhaust systems and I always had a better dyno curve in terms of spool before even extracting the maximum with a tune. The maximum power will be found when replacing the downpipes of a turbo car as it has the biggest effect on backpressure on the turbine side of the turbo. When going to a cat-less system or when changing the location of the O2 sensor it is recommended to tune the car as the ECU will try to compensate and could pull power but definitely it will throw a CEL.

Finally, the Octane rating of the fuel used. Commonly it is known that the higher octane rating the higher knock/detonation resistance your combustion process has. There is one aspect that many people don’t understand especially on turbo charged cars. Intake air temperatures before the combustion chamber are always higher than ambient due to the fact that as you compress air its temperature increases, the intercooler aids in the lowering of said temperature but relatively it is higher than ambient. The mixture of low octane fuel and high IAT (Intake Air Temperature) produces detonation/knock, especially on tuned cars. Due to the varying ambient temperature across the US a guy living up north using 87 octane fuel may not experience detonation/knock while a guy down south may experience detonation/knock which will cause the ECU to pull timing lowering the engine power.

If you live in hot climate and plan on driving your DD Raptor aggressively over the weekend making the small investment of putting in a higher octane fuel than you usually do will ensure an enjoyable drive and a healthier engine

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make a couple of things clear
Thank you for the informative post. It's nice to read something of substance here every once and awhile!

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Miker397, thanks for the informative post. It's only a matter of time before someone develops a turbo muffler delete and a hi flo discharge kit. Any thoughts on that?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!! I called FP this am 12/16/2016 and was informed that they (FORD PREFORMANCE) are working on a tune that can be bought/installed by dealer for the 2017 Raptor. The rep said "the tune will be available very soon, not later."

Any updates on this? It has been two months and I am hoping their tune will address a few Gen2 issues.

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
So a $500 flash on a Gen II should be able to soundly wax a J1 with a $10K whipple upgrade :lol2:

Last edited:

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the FoPer equivalent of ludicrous mode. It will be on everyone's short list,

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It took like 6 months from when it was announced for the mustang tunes to come out. Ford performance parts are usually pretty slow to come out.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

I also haven't seen a 2017 performance parts catalog yet either