GEN 2 Tune 2017 ford raptor - yes!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although this is something I would like to have, I am going to have to let you guys run with the 91 tune. I know my limits and can't grab this shiny object to be like the Joneses:). Your dynos will tear my feeble CAI and muffler upgrades up as soon as the truck decides to show up, but I don't want to force 91 all the time. Right now that's looking at $18 extra a fill up every week. (Assuming .50 cent extra per premium gallon and 36 gallon tank, not to mention prices to rise)
But enjoy! And I still want to see your videos of smoking Mustangs!

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can tell you that unless Ford says you can run lower then 91 don't do it. I know the Gen1 is a different animal, the owners manual says you can run 87 and the 6.2 would lose about 10hp. 10hp so what you can't feel that loss, but what I noticed is that the truck (bone stock) did not idle smoothly on 87 so after 4 tanks of 87 to see if the truck would learn to like the 87 it did not. Also the gas milage is a little better on 91 or better but it was not enough to make a good case for just that. What sold me on the higher octane was the smoother running engine.

I have owned lots of Turbo cars and what I can say is they just run better on higher octane gas. Do what you want but I would run 91 or better in a Gen2 after all it is considered a performance truck.

Adding a CAI and muffler may not make much of a difference on the Gen2 without a tune. It may even run worse but who knows until someone gives it a shot.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, pretty sure someone posted Gen 2 manual saying 87 rec.. I'll run recommended, whatever that may be..

paulhaskew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual states nothing below 87 octane. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_5477.jpg
    IMG_5477.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 99

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think someone did post it and I am only saying what I would do. If they say it is good to go on 87 then they can't say anything if something was to go wrong i.e. try to blame you for running the wrong fuel. I have seen that happen in the Subaru Mitsubishi world when someone runs 87 when 91 is required.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can tell you that unless Ford says you can run lower then 91 don't do it. I know the Gen1 is a different animal, the owners manual says you can run 87 and the 6.2 would lose about 10hp. 10hp so what you can't feel that loss, but what I noticed is that the truck (bone stock) did not idle smoothly on 87 so after 4 tanks of 87 to see if the truck would learn to like the 87 it did not. Also the gas milage is a little better on 91 or better but it was not enough to make a good case for just that. What sold me on the higher octane was the smoother running engine.

I have owned lots of Turbo cars and what I can say is they just run better on higher octane gas. Do what you want but I would run 91 or better in a Gen2 after all it is considered a performance truck.

Adding a CAI and muffler may not make much of a difference on the Gen2 without a tune. It may even run worse but who knows until someone gives it a shot.

87 is supported and was mentioned by ford during PR. You will never drop HP on a turbo vehicle when its under boost from decreased exhaust back pressure.
I run 87 in the 6.2 with no issues and even with a tune. Only run 93 when I am taking the truck to play

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

I think someone did post it and I am only saying what I would do. If they say it is good to go on 87 then they can't say anything if something was to go wrong i.e. try to blame you for running the wrong fuel. I have seen that happen in the Subaru Mitsubishi world when someone runs 87 when 91 is required.

Which is why I would not run a Ford tune as it I am almost 100% sure lock you to 91+ required. The mustang Ecoboost has 87 min requirement as well until you load the tune and then its 91+