Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wwgman

Reaction score
Bought my new Raptor 13 hours away from my home. On my return trip home i was 5 hours from home when my new Raptor started spewing smoke out the back of my truck. I immediately pulled over. As I looked under the truck there was transmission fluid all over the bottom of the truck and the smoke was from the fluid that was running all over the hot exhaust pipe. I called Ford roadside assistance which was beyond a joke. The gal on the phone asked me what state Idaho was in. She called a tow truck and when I called the company to be sure they knew of my location they said were not coming out that far to get you. I was able to call a Ford dealer in Mountain Home Idaho and the service manager was great. He ordered me a tow truck and said they would stay late to see if it was something simple they could fix. It was not. They gave me a older Dodge Caravan to drive home the remaining 5 hours. Not a real fair trade for a $75,000 Raptor to a piece of crap Caravan. Miserable drive home to say the least. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow what the extent of the damage is. I just want to be sure long term I have a truck I can trust.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting a brand new rebuilt transmission on my '13 a few weeks ago @82k miles. The transmission got too hot and fluid ran out of mine too

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

6cbc9bb28d981d619db6ccff17a0390c.jpg

There's a connection up there (passenger side between catalytic converter and transmission on the top) it leaked out of. Supposed to be sealed but that's not how it went for me!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a shame. Terrible story....but I guess there are going to be some bad transmissions coming out of the factory since they're brand new. I had an issue like that with my brand new 2011. On the ride home the transmission locked in turn locked the rear wheels, luckily I was going only about 35mph, and then it went into limp mode after it unlocked so I was able to get it home. Ford picked it up the next day and there was a bench ready transmission waiting at the dealership to be installed. SVT was very responsive and Ford even paid $500 of the cost of my extended warranty. While upsetting, at least they made good on it and took care of the problem quickly. The sales manager that I dealt with at the time even threw in a free mid perch mod. The whole experience that started out ******, was turned around because Ford made things right and ended up with a happy customer. Could have made me a lot more pissed, but because they handled it the right way, I have a positive experience to show for it. Hopefully you have the same....

And wait, you never did say what State Idaho is in.....

Good luck!!

OP
OP
W

wwgman

Reaction score
Wow, that's a shame. Terrible story....but I guess there are going to be some bad transmissions coming out of the factory since they're brand new. I had an issue like that with my brand new 2011. On the ride home the transmission locked in turn locked the rear wheels, luckily I was going only about 35mph, and then it went into limp mode after it unlocked so I was able to get it home. Ford picked it up the next day and there was a bench ready transmission waiting at the dealership to be installed. SVT was very responsive and Ford even paid $500 of the cost of my extended warranty. While upsetting, at least they made good on it and took care of the problem quickly. The sales manager that I dealt with at the time even threw in a free mid perch mod. The whole experience that started out ******, was turned around because Ford made things right and ended up with a happy customer. Could have made me a lot more pissed, but because they handled it the right way, I have a positive experience to show for it. Hopefully you have the same....

And wait, you never did say what State Idaho is in.....

Good luck!!

This is my hope that they take care of it and I leave very happy with Ford. You get so excited to have your new truck and then this is a real downer. I would like to have them extend the warranty on the transmission so I can rest easy.

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

What was your build date?

I had one ordered that wasn't getting built so I shopped around for several weeks an found this one in Colorado. It was Avalanche and had basically everything with the exception of graphics which I really didn't want. The bonus was it had the carbon fiber which I wanted but had basically given up on. Since I bought it off the lot I'm not sure what the build date was. Since it sits 5 hours away I can't look at the paperwork to find a date. Sorry.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Bought my new Raptor 13 hours away from my home. On my return trip home i was 5 hours from home when my new Raptor started spewing smoke out the back of my truck. I immediately pulled over. As I looked under the truck there was transmission fluid all over the bottom of the truck and the smoke was from the fluid that was running all over the hot exhaust pipe. I called Ford roadside assistance which was beyond a joke. The gal on the phone asked me what state Idaho was in. She called a tow truck and when I called the company to be sure they knew of my location they said were not coming out that far to get you. I was able to call a Ford dealer in Mountain Home Idaho and the service manager was great. He ordered me a tow truck and said they would stay late to see if it was something simple they could fix. It was not. They gave me a older Dodge Caravan to drive home the remaining 5 hours. Not a real fair trade for a $75,000 Raptor to a piece of crap Caravan. Miserable drive home to say the least. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow what the extent of the damage is. I just want to be sure long term I have a truck I can trust.

Man, that is a troubling tale. Not just the failure, but forcing you to drive a minivan. :supergay:

My bet is that it is simple and you’ll be squared away soon. Good luck!