Transmission/Gears 4-6!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hugepops77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does the transmission sometimes shift flawlessly through these gears (4-6) and other times the shifts are really choppy! Is anyone else tired of this?!?!

joeyrotorhead

Reaction score
Why does the transmission sometimes shift flawlessly through these gears (4-6) and other times the shifts are really choppy! Is anyone else tired of this?!?!

mine does this too, but mostly notice it when its cold, and only at a moderate throttle... if im just cruising, and/or hammering on it seem fine, but that in-between / moderate throttle area, thats where you can feel it thinking

joeyrotorhead

Reaction score
I agree Joey - so I guess we need to floor it everywhere ��

perfect fix :headbang:

but on serious note, i'm guessing its just a software glitch, and until Ford Performance does an update or aftermarket tune we will be stuck with a "thats normal" excuse from the dealership

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It took years for Ford to refine the 6R80 6-speed transmission to the point that the majority quit complaining about gear hunting or harsh gear engagement (sometimes still happens) via appropriate shift strategy calibration. I can only imagine that the nearly doubling of gears only compounds the fine tuning process.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took years for Ford to refine the 6R80 6-speed transmission to the point that the majority quit complaining about gear hunting or harsh gear engagement (sometimes still happens) via appropriate shift strategy calibration. I can only imagine that the nearly doubling of gears only compounds the fine tuning process.

This is clearly ********. Everyone knows that the 6.2L/6R80 drivetrain was delivered directly from on high in a chariot aflame with the righteous fires of horsepower and torque. It was perfect in every way, thus allowing its proponents to cast stones at the cylinder-deficient sacrilege that is the G2 drivetrain. So sayeth the G1 owner's manual. Amen.

Shockm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is clearly ********. Everyone knows that the 6.2L/6R80 drivetrain was delivered directly from on high in a chariot aflame with the righteous fires of horsepower and torque. It was perfect in every way, thus allowing its proponents to cast stones at the cylinder-deficient sacrilege that is the G2 drivetrain. So sayeth the G1 owner's manual. Amen.
Hard to hit it with a stone when it's that far ahead of you....

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. Especially the 4-5 shift, sometimes for the 5-6 shift, it is really harsh. But only when in sport mode, not in normal mode.

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no issues at all. It is likely programmed to skip 4-6 in comfort mode for efficiency. I hardly notice the shifts. I'm good with saving gas when I don't want the sport.

Sport mode cures nearly all woes tho.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The programming logic seems to skip 2nd and 4th gear in "Normal" mode unless you are hitting the gas pretty hard or going realllllly slow. Others seem okay with this, but I definitely do not like the shifts from 1st to 3rd and 3rd to 5th as much as the other shifts (they are slightly slower and not as smooth). In addition, 6th gear seems to also hold higher RPM's than needed in comparison to the gear shifts from 7th through 10th. The ideal setup for me would have the truck going through all gears and not trying to get into some of the upper gears quite so fast.