Trailer scraping issues while towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pulp

Reaction score
First of all the engine on this thing tows like a beast. I'm very happy with the low rpms even up steep hills. Also, I'm getting zero sway using anti-sway bars. At 75 mph, and up some steep hills, I'm averaging 9 MPG which is decent...

But I'm fairly new to towing and am having some issues... I seem to be scraping everywhere; on my maiden voyage I ended up scraping the anti-sway bar pins completely off just by slowly exiting a gas station causing one of the sway bars to fall off. Ugh.

The trailer I'm towing weighs 7,000 lbs loaded, the hitch weight is 900 lbs.

The dealership where I bought the trailer installed the sway bar and did all the measurements so I'm assuming they did it correctly...

What is the ideal solution to this problem? Different leaf springs, air bags, or is my hitch setup incorrectly?

Attachments

• 20170521_142701.jpg
    20170521_142701.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 331
  • 20170521_142712.jpg
    20170521_142712.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 293

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like even though the truck is squatting a ton, the trailer is pretty much level. If that's really the case and not just the photo angle, then the only real solution is to lift the trailer itself up. You can get a conversion kit to flip the axles to the bottom of the springs, and that will raise the whole thing up 4" or so.

If the trailer is actually angled down though, then the easiest solution is airbags. Deaver is supposed to have springs out already, but they don't show up on their web site, so I'm not sure if the springs people are selling are really made for the truck. Icon is supposed to have some out in November. Either of those will give you a better suspension towing or not.

Last edited:

machtig

Reaction score
With that kind of tongue weight you'll likely need air bags and at least 1000 lb weight distributing bars. What are your current WD bars rated for? The ass end of the truck is squatting way too much.
Once you get the truck more level you'll likely need some sort of drop hitch to keep the trailer level.

Last edited:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's just not safe. Regardless how well that thing seems to handle right now, you are one quick move away from a disaster. Hey - you wouldn't be the first to realize that the Raptor just isn't set up to haul these types of loads, so no attack going on from me. I find it hard to believe that any reputable business would tell you that you are good to go with that truck squatting like that.

You gotta get that thing leveled out somehow, and the really tragic part of that is - it's not gonna be the same truck when you finish. No matter what you do to the suspension to be able to handle that type of load, it's gonna affect the off road and the on road manners when empty.

I sympathize with your situation, but the best advice I could give you is to buy another truck to haul that camper and keep the Raptor for what it is......

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your truck is sitting on the bump stops.. move whatever is in the bed of the truck to the rear of the camper. you can move your hitch up a couple spots as well, that's really the only thing thats gonna give you more clearance on the tongue. you want the frame of the trailer to be as level as possible, but im thinking you have too much tongue weight, or your weight distribution setup isnt doing enough.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's also a camper shell on there adding weight. What do those tings weigh, 200-300 lbs?

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tongue weight of 900 is a lot. Factor in the weight of your truck topper and your are overloaded. Take off the topper and/or move any weight you can behind the trailer axles.