Towing Shopping list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audipwr1

Reaction score
Raptor on its way

I would appreciate some help on the shopping list for what I need to tow a car trailer safely.

Total weight will be ~5-6k lbs, trailer is 20ft long, normal ball hitch mount

Do I need some sort of sway control etc? I am used to towing with a cayenne that has air suspension so for that you just hitch up and drive

Thank you!

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Audipwr,
Get a drop ball hitch that gets you about 1-2" above the level of the trailer hitch. Invest in a load equalizing hitch. Make sure the trailer is slightly nose heavy; the load equalizing hitch will distribute the weight to the trucks frame. If the trailer is tail heavy you WILL have the tail wagging the dog...I've been there once and never want to again!
Make sure you secure the car to the trailer. Check the tie downs after 100 miles...chain/cable/straps...all need to be rechecked!
Remember your tow vehicle's brakes are doing the job for an extra 6K#'s +. Increase the distance from the vehicle you are following. Be aware that it will take you longer to merge with traffic.
For some reason the act of towing causes others to feel it is OK to take advantage of you and pull in front of you at the last minute at toll booths, off ramps, service stations, any where! Know that Karma usually catches up pretty quickly; better to arrive than be retained by the PD!

Eddie

ps Good tie down set, good leather work gloves, make sure the safety chains are crossed under the hitch; make sure you have a jack that will work on the trailer. Check the air pressures of the tow and trailer...AND the spares for the trailer as well as the tow vehicle. Check the trailer lights work; as well as the trailer brakes. Make sure Antifreeze, Oil, Power steering fluid, windshield washer fluids are all topped off. An extra pair of tie down straps just in case!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

audipwr1

Reaction score
thank you both

Yes I am a frequent "tower" so know the ropes. Its more related to the raptor platform I am trying to prep for.

My prior tow rig (Cayenne) had air suspension so you could hook and go (with tons of weight actually).

The trailer has electric brakes so all good there. I am focused on sway and weight distribution on the truck itself to not get it too tail heavy and have potential understeer.

Do you guys have a preferred weight distribution hitch system that works well with our trucks?!

Thanks!

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Audipwr1,
I used the Reese in the past...20+ years ago. Go to Etrailer.com for the best prices and pretty fair evaluations of the current weight distribution systems. One of the benefits is that they also act to help prevent sway...

Eddie

ps I changed to a gooseneck hitch and trailer and never looked back!

Attachments

• Econoline tri axle tilt.jpg
    Econoline tri axle tilt.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
A

audipwr1

Reaction score
Audipwr1,
I used the Reese in the past...20+ years ago. Go to Etrailer.com for the best prices and pretty fair evaluations of the current weight distribution systems. One of the benefits is that they also act to help prevent sway...

Eddie

ps I changed to a gooseneck hitch and trailer and never looked back!

Heavy duty trailer! You tow that with a raptor?

Saw your location - I grew up in Maine

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an add a leaf for the rear. Or at least a Timbren SES. See the suspension sub-forum plenty of good threads on setting up a Gen 2 raptor for towing.

Disregard the peanut gallery. The Raptor is a great tow vehicle once you do a few minor modifications.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AudiPwr1,
No, I towed it with a 98.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins HD crew cab long bed..(basically a srw 3500); later with a 2004.5 Dodge 3500 Cummins srw crew cab long bed. It pulled with out any hesitation, I had to look in the rear view mirror to see if it was still there. MPG? 18 mpg with trailer...4500#, and 1955 C3PW Dodge PowerWagon tied down on bed, 3 kids, Newfoundland dog, ex wife, bags, snacks, etc.
My mileage towing a M1102 trailer/cap with my Raptor...12.5 mpg! That Cummins is an awesome piece of pulling power!

Eddie

ps I'm originally from Montauk, NY; Now in Lubec, ME while building in Trescott, ME

Last edited: