GEN 2 Towing an RV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'm feeling much better about towing.

As for the $5k over. I've called every dealer in the state of Oregon - most want $10 to $15 over MSRP. I considered myself lucky to find one at $5k. You wouldn't believe the stories I have gotten from dealers - telling me how wrong I am for trying to find it at MSRP - customer service at its best - tell the customer they are wrong from the beginning of the conversation. One dealer even told me that the people on the Raptor Forums are lying when they say that they are buying at MSRP or close to it. You would think that dealerships would be thankful to sell a $67k special order at MSRP. The MSRP price has to have quite a large cash bonus for the dealership. Please let me know if you know any dealerships (especially in the Northwest) who would be willing to sell an ordered Raptor at MSRP.

Would you be willing to travel a bit? Last I checked, Town and Country Ford in Evansville, IN had a blue SCREW in stock (about 10 days ago). I got mine from there at $2k below sticker (but I also special ordered it from them so I had some bargaining power).

Please don't give up on finding one at or below sticker. I know it's easier said than done, but it is probably still worthwhile to buy a plane ticket for $1000 and get one at sticker, than just spend another $4000 on a conveniently located one...

Just try looking a little further out from your location. Good luck to you.

wwgman

Reaction score

As for the $5k over. I've called every dealer in the state of Oregon - most want $10 to $15 over MSRP. I considered myself lucky to find one at $5k. You wouldn't believe the stories I have gotten from dealers - telling me how wrong I am for trying to find it at MSRP - customer service at its best - tell the customer they are wrong from the beginning of the conversation. One dealer even told me that the people on the Raptor Forums are lying when they say that they are buying at MSRP or close to it. You would think that dealerships would be thankful to sell a $67k special order at MSRP. The MSRP price has to have quite a large cash bonus for the dealership. Please let me know if you know any dealerships (especially in the Northwest) who would be willing to sell an ordered Raptor at MSRP.

I live in Walla Walla Wa and I've called dealers all over the Northwest and have yet to find one of these mythical MSRP deals. I had one ordered in Eugene at $4500 over. I cancelled it and bought one in Colorado for $4500 over. They may come down sooner than later but I'm sure not seeing it anywhere that
i'm looking.

Cobber

Reaction score
I live in Walla Walla Wa and I've called dealers all over the Northwest and have yet to find one of these mythical MSRP deals. I had one ordered in Eugene at $4500 over. I cancelled it and bought one in Colorado for $4500 over. They may come down sooner than later but I'm sure not seeing it anywhere that
i'm looking.
I'm not far away in Spokane and I ordered mine at Msrp. My 2013 I got a great deal under MSRP same dealer but considering the markups elsewhere especially Seattle. I'll take msrp. I do know Gus Johnson had 7 allocations and I believe they were all spoken for but maybe worth a try. Mine will be the 4th truck built, this Friday finally. Another member autophanatic is about now too. So don't know what the status is on the last 2 allocations.

Monsoon Chopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a long-time (3 month) browser of this forum and I just joined. Thank you for all of the great information you have posted.

I am planning on buying a 2017 Super Crew Raptor - and have been fighting the incredibly frustrating dealer markup hell - finally finding one available to order at $5000 over MSRP. I doubt I will find better than this in the near future...

I have been watching all the Raptor forums for information on the 2017 towing an RV. I'm not finding much information beyond the 8000 lb. capacity set by Ford - lots of people discussing the GEN 1 - even great youtube videos of GEN 1... Just not much on GEN 2. I even emailed TFL Truck and asked them to do a video on the 2017 towing.

Before you attack... I realize that the Ford Raptor is not made for towing. I plan on using the Raptor primarily as a daily commuter/driver. I live in the Oregon mountains - lots of dirt roads (often snowy in the winter) between my house and where I work. I will only tow a trailer with it 5 or 6 weekend trips a year - within a hundred miles of my house (sometimes over twisty mountain passes).

Would the 2017 Raptor be able to tow a 5500 lb. fully loaded camping trailer (Tongue weight around 550 lbs) without modifying the springs? I do have a weight distribution hitch. I'm at the edge of my budget buying the Raptor - I don't have lots of money to sink into new springs.

I have also strongly considered the 2017 F150 Lariat - because I worry about the Raptor towing capacity. I have found that there is absolutely no comparison in the comfort of the seats and the ride of the two trucks. The Raptor is INCREDIBLY comfortable and fun to drive. The F150 Lariat has harder seats and I feel the road a lot more.

What do you think?

Thank you for your help!

Saw this article this morning. 2017 Ford Raptor: Comprehensive Guide to Maximum Towing and Payload Specs - The Fast Lane Truck

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This guy is about 5,500 pounds as seen in the picture. Obviously it's a Gen 1. It does have +3 Deavers and a bump stop kit (which isn't touching in tow mode in this picture).

You'll be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 173

Mikerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Try calling Jess ford in Pullman WA I know they sold one at MSRP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rwj333

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your responses

Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your responses... after tons of searching for a new Raptor at msrp, I fell into a great deal. I found a 2013 red Raptor with all the specs I wanted (ADD front bumper with fog lights, totally loaded with all options), with only 12,000 miles on it!!! It came from a man's collection of 70 high performance vehicles. It has lived inside a climate controlled shop its entire life. The man wanted to sell it to purchase a new Shelby truck. I got a great deal way below blue book and could not be happier. I will put some Deavers on this and should have no problem towing. Thank you for all the information you have shared. Maybe some day I will upgrade to a gen. 2... but for now, I'm thrilled. I got a practically new 2013 at a price I could easily afford.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 87

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your responses... after tons of searching for a new Raptor at msrp, I fell into a great deal. I found a 2013 red Raptor with all the specs I wanted (ADD front bumper with fog lights, totally loaded with all options), with only 12,000 miles on it!!! It came from a man's collection of 70 high performance vehicles. It has lived inside a climate controlled shop its entire life. The man wanted to sell it to purchase a new Shelby truck. I got a great deal way below blue book and could not be happier. I will put some Deavers on this and should have no problem towing. Thank you for all the information you have shared. Maybe some day I will upgrade to a gen. 2... but for now, I'm thrilled. I got a practically new 2013 at a price I could easily afford.

Congrats on your Gen 1 :) Great looking truck and practically brand new as you mentioned with the 12K miles on it.

Great find!

David