Towing reviews Gen 2 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nowata

Reaction score
I have a supercrew coming. I'll be using it to tow a track car this summer in addition to dd duties. car and open trailer amounts to 4k lbs. It pulls ok behind my wifes 5.3L suburban and a 5.7L tundra. Will the Raptor be up to the task? 3-5 hrs away and maybe a couple that are 15 hrs away. Will the suspension and tires be a weak point?

Any input and feedback on towing experiences appreciated.

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a similar load with my 2012 Raptor. I towed awesome. The suspension and tire were not weak points.

I can't speak to towing with an Ecoboost, but I'd imagine MPG's will be crappy. I tow infrequently, so I'm not worried about fuel economy while towing.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Just looked at my trailer info Saturday, I have towed 14K miles with my 2011 crew, rock crawler with trailer is about 7K lbs. Never had a problem, my truck has 66K miles and still has original rear brakes, shocks etc. Hoping my 17 does as well as the 2011.

Lumber

Reaction score
The weak link on the raptor is the rear leaf pack. A jet ski trailer will make it squat uncomfortably.
You can add-a-leaf to address the problem.
There shouldn't be a power/trans issue at all.
(It won't be a 6.7, but it should get the job done a dozen times a year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nowata

Reaction score
Towing

The weak link on the raptor is the rear leaf pack. A jet ski trailer will make it squat uncomfortably.
You can add-a-leaf to address the problem.
There shouldn't be a power/trans issue at all.
(It won't be a 6.7, but it should get the job done a dozen times a year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously? My primary move into a truck is to tow a 2600lb track car on a 1500 lb open trailer. Don't know tongue weight but my suburban squats a bit. The raptor cited above was retracted by dealer for reason covered in other threads. I found another raptor but maybe I'm better off with a limited?

Glenbartley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the w.v flood last summer i did a relief effort and ended up with a 12ft uhaul trailer loaded to the max with heavy stuff like water, bleach, cleaning materials ect. I figured about 6k pounds. With that and my truck loaded to max i did a 400 mile trip at highway speeds didnt have any problem at all in my 2012 scab.

Has anyone tried maybe some air ride overloads or something? Maybe air up while towing then air down normaly? Just a thought.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a supercrew coming. I'll be using it to tow a track car this summer in addition to dd duties. car and open trailer amounts to 4k lbs. It pulls ok behind my wifes 5.3L suburban and a 5.7L tundra. Will the Raptor be up to the task? 3-5 hrs away and maybe a couple that are 15 hrs away. Will the suspension and tires be a weak point?

I think you'll be just fine. I tow an '03 Jeep on a flatbed with no problems at all. That's with a gen 1, but still, you're way under the weight rating.

And when I say tow, I'm talking about towing up I-70 in Colorado through the mountains. Thing is a beast.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The truck will tow that like there's nothing behind it.

You are at 1/2 of the rated towing capacity for the truck so nothing will be a weak point with that weight.