Towing King....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick11

Reaction score
I Just got back from a trip to the Yukon Canada, and back down to Alberta Canada. Total distance was almost 4,000 km's, and the whole trip I was towing my 27 '' trailer "approx 6k lbs dry" and hauling a motorcycle in the back among lots of other gear.

With my best guess the total payload of the truck must of been over 2,000 lbs including the tongue weight of the trailer, with my version of our trucks only rated at 1200 lbs max payload capacity.

I am pleased to report in that the truck handled it BEAUTIFULLY! Coming from a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 6'' BDS lift kit, my 2018 Raptor created a towing experience that was night and day.

The suspension was not bottoming out, and I didn't get the issue I had with my lifted truck where my front ends up riding way higher than the rear. Also much more power noticeable with the 3.5l ecoboost over the 5.7l hemi especially at the elevations I was towing.

After this trip my question to others is, why did Ford rate the payload capacity of these trucks so low?

I certainly wouldn't want to be doing any offroading or rough roads while exceeding the 1200 lbs payload, but my experience with 2k+ payload on the freeway was the stock suspension handled it like a dream.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks tow like absolute shit compared to a chevy, toyota or standard f150. Apparently much better than a lifted dodge though...

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These trucks tow like absolute shit compared to a chevy, toyota or standard f150. Apparently much better than a lifted dodge though...

Well, if you dont weight the **** out of the tongue, which you shouldnt do anyway, it tows fine, ya ****** mouthbreather

fHwpWCE.jpg

edit: your statement is still technically true, call the cops, I dont even give a ****

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you dont weight the **** out of the tongue, which you shouldnt do anyway, it tows fine, ya ****** mouthbreather

fHwpWCE.jpg

edit: your statement is still technically true, call the cops, I dont even give a ****

Yeah what would I know about towing. I've probably driven more miles in reverse with a trailer than most people have driven a trailer period.

But yeah there's no margin for tongue weight error at all on the raptor.

OP
OP
N

Nick11

Reaction score

I hesitated a bit before responding ....

Are you being serious or just a terrible troll?

No shit a 2018 F150 Lariat, is better at towing then a F150 Raptor which comes stock with off-road suspension.... Did you even have to mention chevy, toyota, etc.... Either your trying to be funny or just not that bright...

Do you even have a Raptor ?

My Original post was just meant to provide feedback regarding MY experienced with towing a large trailer on my Gen 2 raptor. I was quite worried about how it would do, and it performed beyond my expectations.

As obviously nobody buys a F150 raptor with specifically towing in mind, I felt this post could start up a discussion having others share their experienced towing with a F150 Raptor...

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...After this trip my question to others is, why did Ford rate the payload capacity of these trucks so low?...

To answer your question- it is because of the soft suspension that was originally designed specifically for desert type racing.

Jackkk

Reaction score

If you are trolling....I'm in the net.

I had a 2008 and a 2014 GMC Denali each with the 6.2. They naturally would handle more tongue weight, but they did not tow better that my 2018 Raptor. I pull a 24' bay boat that is well balanced and balance makes all the difference. I've been towing boats for quite a few years and this engine and transmission setup is by far the best I have experienced in a gas truck. To quote my son (who borrowed my truck to pull his utility trailer), "it feels like your pulling with a Ferrari". I was very concerned that the Raptor would not handle my boat, but after 10 tows with a 75 mile round trip....all worried are gone and the bragging has begun because it outperforms all my previous trucks and suv's. With alll that said....if you are tongue heavy, this is not the truck for you.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
N

Nick11

Reaction score
To answer your question- it is because of the soft suspension that was originally designed specifically for desert type racing.

Yes I understand that. What I was getting at is why is Ford rating the payload lower than likely the maximum should be....

Is it so you don't overload the truck and take it off road?

As I have been able to consistently get away with loading the truck up to around 2k lbs without issues on the free way / paved roads.

Ice

Reaction score
This makes me feel a bit better about hauling 1500 lbs of tile in my bed for about 2 miles in my supercab. Had me paranoid all day that I must’ve done some damage to my truck haha

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is the most robust overbuilt F150 Ford makes...The axle tubes are bigger and stronger then any other F150, the axle shafts are bigger and stronger then any other F150, and the Raptor frame is stronger....so why only 8,000 lbs for the crew cab?
Simple...an long travel off road truck is soft in the rear and the rating is based on the max expected tongue weight...