Towing/hitch questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched some of the videos on the Roadmaster, and went ahead and ordered it and will install myself. Didn't seem too complicated.

Just in case anyone decides to order the Roadmaster setup, apparently there is a Gen2 specific version even though the link posted above (that I used to order) says it is for 2010-2018 Raptors. The guys at Roadmaster called me to confirm which year model I had and explained there was a different version for Gen2 Raptors.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just in case anyone decides to order the Roadmaster setup, apparently there is a Gen2 specific version even though the link posted above (that I used to order) says it is for 2010-2018 Raptors. The guys at Roadmaster called me to confirm which year model I had and explained there was a different version for Gen2 Raptors.

That is great to know! I noticed the URL says 2010-2016 Ford Raptor, but the page says 2010 to 2018 Raptors, so I would have ordered it from their page.

Can you post the correct part number for the Gen 2s?

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will when it comes. He told me the number on the phone but I didn’t write it down.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the Roadmaster unit came and I just finished the install. The item# on the box is 3611, and the Reference number is MK3-XXF.

I ran into one snag on the install that was a pain in the ass to deal with. The install requires you to remove the roller that sits on the top of the leaf springs on each side as it is in the way of the Roadmaster unit. It uses a hex bolt that mounts flush. On the passenger side the head of that bolt is inside, facing the spare tire, so you can't see it if you just have the truck on jack stands, and the instructions don't tell you what size hex key you need. I was able to feel around with different sizes until I found one that fit and was able to get that one off without too much hassle.

However, on the driver's the face of the hex bolt is actually facing to the outside toward the tire. It seems like that would make it easier, but actually the shocks on the driver's side can block the hex bolt almost completely so you have to play around with jacking up the leaf springs on that side to manipulate it so that it is clear of the shocks. I was able to get it fairly clear, but the bolt wouldn't come loose and the hex key stripped it out. I ended up making several trips to Home Depot to try and find something to extract the stripped out bolt. What finally did the trick was a dremel tool to cut a slot in the head of the bolt and a huge flat-head screwdriver with channel locks clamped onto it for leverage. Once the bolt broke loose it came out fairly easily. The bolt is ruined now though, so I'm going to have to figure out how to order some spares from Ford.

Thankfully I don't plan on taking the Roadmaster setup off the truck anytime soon. I haven't had a chance to actually drive it yet, but I'll update this thread after I have a chance to try it out including towing the trailer mentioned above next weekend.

Last edited:

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the final install and the rogue bolt. The next to last picture is the bracket where the roller was that the bolt had to come out of, right behind the shock.

Attachments

• 2018-07-06 16.03.25.jpg
    2018-07-06 16.03.25.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 2018-07-06 16.03.50.jpg
    2018-07-06 16.03.50.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2018-07-06 16.04.06.jpg
    2018-07-06 16.04.06.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2018-07-06 16.04.23.jpg
    2018-07-06 16.04.23.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 2018-07-06 16.04.55.jpg
    2018-07-06 16.04.55.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 55

Txsparky

Reaction score
I was looking at the Roadmaster unit. Do you take it off when not towing? Does it affect the ride while not towing?

Txsparky

Reaction score
I hope its good. i just bought one. I talked to a dealer here and he suggested airbags. I asked him to quote the Roadmaster. He called me back and said the Roadmaster was a great solution but he couldn't touch their price.

I also got this email below from Roadmaster :

Glad you reached out to us!

This sounds like a great application for our product. You’re spot on about the rear suspension being softer on the Raptor, our kit will help you maintain as good as – or better than stock ride quality.

Here is the link to the part number for your truck: https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/2015-2019-ford-raptor/

Thank you,

Nolan Mast

Director of Marketing & Ecommerce

Roadmaster Active Suspension