Towing/hitch questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just did 1000 miles moving someone with trailer loaded to the brim. Raptor did the job like the trailer wasn't even there. Don't let the peanut gallery fool you, with a little bit of work (add a leaf or bump stop kit for the rear) the raptor makes an excellent tow vehicle. I have over 10k miles towing out of 30k miles total on the truck.

Are you using add a leaf or a bump stop kit with longer extensions?

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did 1000 miles moving someone with trailer loaded to the brim. Raptor did the job like the trailer wasn't even there. Don't let the peanut gallery fool you, with a little bit of work (add a leaf or bump stop kit for the rear) the raptor makes an excellent tow vehicle. I have over 10k miles towing out of 30k miles total on the truck.

935f68b0070d1fafc3603abd06fe1c15.jpg

I just want to take a moment and say thank you for convincing me that my thoughts about adding the Ford Performance stripe were accurate. I will now go place the order I've been going back and forth about for a few weeks now.

Last edited:

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what does everyone recommend as a good initial step in the following scenario. I have a 2018 SCREW.

I’ll be towing a rental camper trailer (26’ Coleman Light LX) that has a 4,600 lb dry weight / 600lb dry tongue weight. There will be four of us in the cab, and we’ll be carrying camping gear for a weekend so say 600lbs in the cab, another 200lbs in the bed and probably an extra 750lbs in the trailer including the propane, water, camping gear, etc.

Last weekend I towed a smaller trailer that was about 1,000lbs lighter in the same scenario and fully loaded I noticed some bouncing over expansion joints and a somewhat rougher ride than desired. Once I emptied the trailer and the truck occupants so it was just me pulling an empty trailer the ride was great and had no issues.

I was using a regular hitch.

Do I just need a WD hitch to smooth things out, or should I go ahead and do a quick suspension upgrade? I don’t want to lose off-road capability. What specifically should I do? I’ve only got about 2 weeks before the trip mentioned above, so has to be something I can get done quickly.

Last edited:

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to take a moment and say thank you for convincing me that my thoughts about adding the Ford Performance stripe were accurate. I will now go place the order I've been going back and forth about for a few weeks now.
You are welcome. I think the stripes break up the large body/cab nicely from a visual perspective.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

So what does everyone recommend as a good initial step in the following scenario. I have a 2018 SCREW.

I’ll be towing a rental camper trailer (26’ Coleman Light LX) that has a 4,600 lb dry weight / 600lb dry tongue weight. There will be four of us in the cab, and we’ll be carrying camping gear for a weekend so say 600lbs in the cab, another 200lbs in the bed and probably an extra 750lbs in the trailer including the propane, water, camping gear, etc.

Last weekend I towed a smaller trailer that was about 1,000lbs lighter in the same scenario and fully loaded I noticed some bouncing over expansion joints and a somewhat rougher ride than desired. Once I emptied the trailer and the truck occupants so it was just me pulling an empty trailer the ride was great and had no issues.

I was using a regular hitch.

Do I just need a WD hitch to smooth things out, or should I go ahead and do a quick suspension upgrade? I don’t want to lose off-road capability. What specifically should I do? I’ve only got about 2 weeks before the trip mentioned above, so has to be something I can get done quickly.
Have you been reading any of the posts above you in this thread, or any of the other towing threads on frf? Pretty simple bro.

Last edited:

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I've been reading and following all the towing related threads for several weeks. The suggestions range from not needing anything to needing a custom removable spring setup built only by a small shop out in California.

A bunch of people suggest Deavers (+2 or 3) but don't explain why or how it will affect things outside of towing.

Several types of WD hitches are mentioned as well.

Then you've got airbags, etc.

Basically there are a bunch of suggestions, but no real explanations, and I'm not able to determine what exactly I should do given my specific situation, hence the question. But thanks for replying.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually I've been reading and following all the towing related threads for several weeks. The suggestions range from not needing anything to needing a custom removable spring setup built only by a small shop out in California.

A bunch of people suggest Deavers (+2 or 3) but don't explain why or how it will affect things outside of towing.

Basically there are a bunch of suggestions, but no real explanations, and I'm not able to determine what exactly I should do given my specific situation, hence the question. But thanks for replying.

My guess is all the suggestions are valid and just depends on how much you want to spend and what works for you and the type of load you're pulling. Since you don't appear to be too happy with how the truck handles with the loads you intend to pull, the "do nothing" can be safely ruled out. (unless you decide you can live with it)

Since time is of the essence, the custom work out in CA is also probably not an option, so that can also be ruled out.

Which leaves you with Deavers and airbags. I haven't seen too many people go the airbag route on Raptors, but plenty who went with Deavers and I haven't heard much, if any negative about them. Given all the variables, it seems that would be the way to go for you.

I have read that you do need some supporting mods if you go with Deavers to keep the rear end from hanging on the shocks at full decompression.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score

All you need is an add a leaf in rear. About $800. No impact to ride quality or off-road performance. I've wheeled it quite a bit and can personally attest.

An even cheaper option is a bump stop kit. About $250-300 I believe. You do need to remove them when going off road as they limit travel.

Do not need deavers for towing. Or the fancy air shock bolt on from California.

Good luck.

Last edited: