Towing with 600 miles??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Making a 1,100 mile round trip this weekend with the new raptor. Going ice fishing and would like to pull my 12’ aluminum trailer with my Can-Am Commander loaded. Figure I’ll be under a ton in tow with a couple hundred pounds in the truck. Truck currently has 600 miles. Am I ok to go and tow? I haven’t changed the oil yet, plan to when I get home. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow away. Neither you or the truck will notice 2000#'s back there. Also never understood the need to change the oil early on a new vehicle. Waste of $$$ IMHO and I spent over 25 years in the maintenance field.

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just crawled under there to spray the frame down with MPHD before the trip and there is oil everywhere. Brought the truck home 2 weeks ago and it has spent most of the time in the garage. There is a small spot under the truck (that I didn’t notice), but the skid plate has oil all over it! Looks like oil pan gasket. Going to call dealer in the morning, but I doubt there is any chance I’ll have it replaced by the time I leave Friday!

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try for a loaner to take for the trip, but I didn’t buy the truck locally (drove 5 hours for it), so my dealer will probably be ****** to me (even though they didn’t have an allocation when I tried ordering)...

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez sorry man! Is your raptor a 17 or 18?

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017. Was a leftover from a dealer that asks $10k over MSRP. Bought it 2 weeks ago for almost invoice. Thought I got a good deal till tonight...

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> Thought I got a good deal till tonight... <<<

AND! Why do you now think that you didn't get a good deal?!!!!!!
The Vehicle is covered by WARRANTY at ANY FORD Dealer nationwide, plus you'll get a loaner car.
What more do you want? Be real!

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I didn’t really mean it that way. I did get a good deal, I love my truck and I wouldn’t change my decision for anything. I guess I’m just frustrated that I can’t take it this weekend. Was really looking forward the trip with it. Guess I’ll just look at it as I’m saving the miles for another trip after it is fixed. I just hope the dealership will take care of me. Will find out in the morning.

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it went to the dealership today. Told me they need to replace the liquid gasket between the oil pan and motor and didn’t have any of the “high performance” stuff specified for the raptor. He told me to come get it while we wait on the liquid gasket and it is ok to drive - it has only dropped a few drops on the ground since I’ve owned it, but there is some on the skid plate. I asked if I could take it on my trip and he said if I have another vehicle I can use that I should. I CAN take my dads limited, but I really WANT to take my raptor. Thoughts of taking it and bringing a quart or two of oil along? It is still perfect on the stick and was built 1/2017. What are your guy’s thoughts? Am I out of my mind for even thinking about taking it?