Tire vibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what you are asking. I had the tires tested about two weeks after I picked up the truck, it took the tire shop about 30 to 45 minutes to test all tires, and the dealership replaced the tires the same day that I showed evidence of the issue.

RF balance tries to get RF values as low as possible, generally if you're able to be under 15-20lbs at each tire you're doing really well

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had tires road forced. 3 were good, 5,6,9. 1 front right was 27-29. Rotated. Same #. Kept saying shift tire another 1/4". No joke. We were 1/16" off on the marks (not that easy to spin with marks facing down and covered.). Dealer says for LT TIRES, that is acceptable but offered to replace the one. We moved it to right rear for now.

What I'm feeling is possibly just the AT tires being somewhat "knobby". Even at 5-10mpg it's felt. If they were flat spots road force wouldn't have passed he says.

Does anyone have that knobby feeling? I had it on my '14 gen 1 with 20"x35 tires and wheels and was not happy. I thought for sure these would be smooth. If this is normal then my quest is over and will live with it. If not, I'm at a loss

For the record, I also feel a twitching in the gas pedal. A little feedback from driveline I guess? Almost seems consistent with the bumpy knobby feeling. Here in south Florida we have very smooth roads so....

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had tires road forced. 3 were good, 5,6,9. 1 front right was 27-29. Rotated. Same #. Kept saying shift tire another 1/4". No joke. We were 1/16" off on the marks (not that easy to spin with marks facing down and covered.). Dealer says for LT TIRES, that is acceptable but offered to replace the one. We moved it to right rear for now.

What I'm feeling is possibly just the AT tires being somewhat "knobby". Even at 5-10mpg it's felt. If they were flat spots road force wouldn't have passed he says.

Does anyone have that knobby feeling? I had it on my '14 gen 1 with 20"x35 tires and wheels and was not happy. I thought for sure these would be smooth. If this is normal then my quest is over and will live with it. If not, I'm at a loss

For the record, I also feel a twitching in the gas pedal. A little feedback from driveline I guess? Almost seems consistent with the bumpy knobby feeling. Here in south Florida we have very smooth roads so....

Misery loves company. I seem to notice a lot of things others are not reporting, so I was happy to see your post. While I do not notice any "knobby" tire issues/noise, I definitely feel a lot of jittery movement (mostly from the backend) while driving. I think this is primarily due to the fact that it is a truck with virtually no weight over the rear wheels, it has an off-road suspension, etc... The ride is amazingly quiet and soft, but it can definitely be a bit "busy" at times.

As for the twitching in the gas pedal, I have the same issue. It isn't constant, but I tend to notice it the most while on the highway. I believe the throttle is electronically controlled, so what could be causing this? Sometimes I feel like I am getting a mild and unwanted foot massage. I only notice it in the gas pedal (not the heel of my foot when it is off the gas, etc....), so if it is a vibration issue, why wouldn't I notice it in other ways?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The ride is amazingly quiet and soft, but it can definitely be a bit "busy" at times.
I think I found something the Raptor really doesn’t do well this weekend. Ok besides parking garages.

I live near a severely overcrowded section of US1. on the stretches that are bracketed by high density housing are numerous manholes, spread out in all 3 lanes. Most are slightly under the pavement but some not as shallow. The Raptor does not acquit itself well over this. Maybe I wasn’t going fast enough, but the truck felt bumpy and unsettled.

I can only imagine what roads around Detroit are like :-o I vacationed in MI a few years back and the pavement looked like it had been shelled with heavy artillery.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found something the Raptor really doesn’t do well this weekend. Ok besides parking garages.

I live near a severely overcrowded section of US1. on the stretches that are bracketed by high density housing are numerous manholes, spread out in all 3 lanes. Most are slightly under the pavement but some not as shallow. The Raptor does not acquit itself well over this. Maybe I wasn’t going fast enough, but the truck felt bumpy and unsettled.

I can only imagine what roads around Detroit are like :-o I vacationed in MI a few years back and the pavement looked like it had been shelled with heavy artillery.

I hope your shot record was up to date before you went to MI.

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Misery loves company. I seem to notice a lot of things others are not reporting, so I was happy to see your post. While I do not notice any "knobby" tire issues/noise, I definitely feel a lot of jittery movement (mostly from the backend) while driving. I think this is primarily due to the fact that it is a truck with virtually no weight over the rear wheels, it has an off-road suspension, etc... The ride is amazingly quiet and soft, but it can definitely be a bit "busy" at times.

As for the twitching in the gas pedal, I have the same issue. It isn't constant, but I tend to notice it the most while on the highway. I believe the throttle is electronically controlled, so what could be causing this? Sometimes I feel like I am getting a mild and unwanted foot massage. I only notice it in the gas pedal (not the heel of my foot when it is off the gas, etc....), so if it is a vibration issue, why wouldn't I notice it in other ways?

The knobby feeling I'm referring to is the vibration. Like going over small rocks and the gas pedal feedback is odd for sure. Especially since it's electronic.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been concerned with this since day one. I switched to Fuel wheels and the idiots at the shop didn't balance them the right way. So I dropped $100 to have another shop double check and re-balance. I'm STILL getting a LOT of wheel hop on the freeway. It's not everywhere which makes me feel it may not be the tires. None the less, I have a shop with Road Force balances that is going to check them again and verify whether the wheels are, and can be, balanced.

I've wondered if it's because of the lighter truck compared to the '12.

Sometimes, when I nail it getting onto the freeway, my rear end and acceleration seem just plain squirrelly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having this exact to the T same issue on my 2018. Did you guys find a fix/resolution. It’s the only thing keeping me from loving this truck!

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for help from anybody that had this type of vibration problem. Unless it’s a bad tire it has to be something other then tires. Anybody have a similar situation? I love this truck but need this issue fixed!