GEN 2 Tire Rotation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone performed a tire rotation! According to the diagram from the owners manual, the stock tires seem to be bi-directional! Is that true?40d6d1b2ab4f8d8fe86e3daed2cbffd4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered my 2018 so I can't comment on whether they are or are not bi-directional. I used something like this on my jeep where I included the spare into the rotation. I'd probably do the same with my raptor.

3-tire-rotation-with-spare-580x330.jpg

SunnDogg

Reaction score
Unlike the Jeep, the spare on our Raptor will most likely be a standard rim so not sure that would be an ideal process unless you pony up and replace the rim. I have the KO2's on my current F-150 and rotate them as described in the manual. If you keep up on the pressure's and rotate often (I do every other oil change) you should be able to get very good life out of them. I have over 60K on mine and still have plenty of tread left.

Edit: Reading the manual excerpt above it also states that the spare does not have a TPMS so that would also be an expense in addition to the rim.

Can anyone please confirm that the spare is a standard rim?

Last edited:

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone performed a tire rotation! According to the diagram from the owners manual, the stock tires seem to be bi-directional! Is that true?40d6d1b2ab4f8d8fe86e3daed2cbffd4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are and definitely recommend the cross rotate to avoid cupping that BFG's are subject to

Just ordered my 2018 so I can't comment on whether they are or are not bi-directional. I used something like this on my jeep where I included the spare into the rotation. I'd probably do the same with my raptor.

3-tire-rotation-with-spare-580x330.jpg

It is good to get the spare in the mix for longer life. However the spare on the raptor unlike certain jeep models doesn't have a tire pressure sensor in it. So if you're worried about the TPMS system measuring your PSI for the tires on the ground the 5 tire rotation can be a pain swapping a sensor overy rotation or adding a 5th and re-programming each rotation.

If you're not worried about the TPMS put that 5th tire in rotation. It's best for longevity

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unlike the Jeep, the spare on our Raptor will most likely be a standard rim so not sure that would be an ideal process unless you pony up and replace the rim. I have the KO2's on my current F-150 and rotate them as described in the manual. If you keep up on the pressure's and rotate often (I do every other oil change) you should be able to get very good life out of them. I have over 60K on mine and still have plenty of tread left.

Edit: Reading the manual excerpt above it also states that the spare does not have a TPMS so that would also be an expense in addition to the rim.

Can anyone please confirm that the spare is a standard rim?

I have the beadlocks and the spare is also a beadlock. But as listed above, it doesn't have the TPM.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep, and that's the rotation method that I used, too. No problems in the 400 or so miles since i did it.

Make sure you have a torque wrench... lug nut torque value is 150 ft/lb.

vitaminR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This probably sounds stupid but I am very excited to be able to rotate my tires.

I've owned a 6.4 Dually since 2008. :)

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a TPMS sensor to my spare. I think it will also help mitigate seizing issues with the spare tire holding mechanism with regular use.

Since you learn each tire when you reprogram, I assume it would ignore the spare if a TPMS is added. Is that correct?

Reprogramming is super easy, especially if you have the tool. It needs to be done with every rotation regardless of the spare for the correct on screen display.

Here is the reprogramming tool I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FKSNUI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a TPMS sensor to my spare. I think it will also help mitigate seizing issues with the spare tire holding mechanism with regular use.

Since you learn each tire when you reprogram, I assume it would ignore the spare if a TPMS is added. Is that correct?

Reprogramming is super easy, especially if you have the tool. It needs to be done with every rotation regardless of the spare for the correct on screen display.

Here is the reprogramming tool I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FKSNUI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I'm pretty sure the raptor's ecu can only see 4 sensors at a time so a 5th sensor and a relearn every rotation would be fine. Although I don't think the Raptor displays which tires are where so you shouldn't have to re-learn every rotation unless a 5th sensor is added.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having 5 identical tires and wheels and not rotating the spare in is a waste of money. You paid for the spare, rotate it in!

I think I'll buy a TPMS for the spare assuming the Raptor can deal with 5 and read the 4 on the ground.

Any sources for the best TPMS price?

EDIT: We need to do a TPMS System Reset after rotating the tires...

From the 2017 Ford Raptor Manual:

Since tires need to be rotated to provide consistent performance and maximum tire life, the tire pressure monitoring system needs to know when the tires are rotated to determine which set of tires are on the front and which are on the rear. With this information, the system can detect and properly warn of low tire pressures.

System reset tips:

To reduce the chances of interference from another vehicle, perform the system reset procedure at least three feet (one meter) away from another Ford Motor Company vehicle undergoing the system reset procedure at the same time.

Do not wait more than two minutes between resetting each tire sensor or the system will time-out and the entire procedure will have to be repeated on all four wheels.

A double horn will sound indicating the need to repeat the procedure.

Performing the System Reset Procedure

Read the entire procedure before attempting.

1. Drive the vehicle above 32 km/h for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
  2. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
  3. Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
  4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times. You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will sound once, the system indicator will flash and a message is shown in the information display. If this does not occur, please try again starting at Step 2. If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message is shown in the information display, seek service from your authorized dealer.
  5. Train the tire pressure monitoring system sensors in the tires using the following system reset sequence starting with the left front tire in the following clockwise order: Left front (driver's side front tire), Right front (passenger's side front tire), Right rear (passenger's side rear tire), Left rear (driver's side rear tire).
  6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.

Note: The single horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by the module for this position. If a double horn is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful, and you must repeat it.

7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
  8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
  9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds. Training is complete after the horn sounds for the last tire trained (driver's side rear tire), the system indicator stops flashing, and a message is shown in the information display.
  10. Turn the ignition off. If two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and you must repeat it. If after repeating the procedure and two short beeps are heard when the ignition is turned to off, seek assistance from your authorized dealer.
  11. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure as indicated on the Safety Compliance Certification Label (affixed to either the door hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver's seating position) or Tire Label located on the B-Pillar or the edge of the driver's door.

Link to above:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1845064&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

Last edited: