Time in your life when you know it's time....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the oil yesterday in the Gen II and am close to making the decision to 'have someone else do it from now on'. It's like the day I made the decision to 'let someone else hang my drywall' moving forward. I think it hits us all at some point with everything...lol. I've done 30+ years of oil changes but the Gen II is the most ridiculously cumbersome vehicle to do such. Unless you have a lift and are <180 lbs and built like a pipe cleaner, the angles they make you twist up into are tough...lol. I did do the bucket idea (saw that on here and great idea!, no oil drain pan or you'll have a mess) and the filter drain is a joke (runs down on the skid plate, then out little drain holes).

On top of everything else, somehow laying on my side with my arm in a weird angle over my head, disengages the 'I think it's only a fart' diagnostic process in my head. Getting older sucks....lol

I'll now turn it over to the young bucks to flame away on me for being an old fart, bitch and moaner and how easy it is. I'll sit here and drink my much deserved beer and remember how easy things use to be.

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave up changing oil years ago. What 60-70.00 with full synthetic and the filter, and you dont have to get covered in oil, dispose of the oil...Just not worth the time. Maybe if you have a lift in your garage...

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil change/ rotation and check everything.
$39 at dealer.

Really a no brainer.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the oil yesterday in the Gen II and am close to making the decision to 'have someone else do it from now on'.

Sounds like we both spent a portion of our Saturday changing the oil for the first time on this truck. Definitely more of a pain in the ass than any other vehicle I've done.

Problem for me is I don't have a mechanic yet in my area that I trust. Nobody at a dealer or a quick lube place gives a shit about the customer or their truck. We're just another 30 minutes in their 8 hour shift. Nobody will take the care that you will and get the job done right and that's why I'll continue to change my own oil.

Changed to full synthetic at 250 miles. Will change again at 1k, then 3k, then every 5k after that.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil change on the Raptor is actually fairly easy, the little drip thing that Ford built to catch the oil from the filter is clever. The 1/2 drain plug that shoots oil out like a fire hose.. not so much. I'd pay someone $50 to do the work if I can find someone I can trust to do it right.

I think I am like many people who like to do things on their own, it's not the money saved, it just feels better then you know it's done right.

utsteve98

Reaction score
Eh, my time is worth money. Dealer does it along with all other checks for a reasonable price and fairly quickly also. Besides, they document these services in CARFAX so there is proof you did all scheduled maintenance that anyone can look up when you trade it in for your GEN3. Ha.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a lift in my garage so it's pretty easy. But if I had to do it laying under the truck I'd probably have someone else do it. The nearest Ford dealer is a half hour away so that wouldn't work for me. I'd have to get out of work early to get there before closing and the service department isn't open Saturdays.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Changing the oil yesterday in the Gen II and am close to making the decision to 'have someone else do it from now on'. It's like the day I made the decision to 'let someone else hang my drywall' moving forward. I think it hits us all at some point with everything...lol. I've done 30+ years of oil changes but the Gen II is the most ridiculously cumbersome vehicle to do such. Unless you have a lift and are <180 lbs and built like a pipe cleaner, the angles they make you twist up into are tough...lol. I did do the bucket idea (saw that on here and great idea!, no oil drain pan or you'll have a mess) and the filter drain is a joke (runs down on the skid plate, then out little drain holes).

On top of everything else, somehow laying on my side with my arm in a weird angle over my head, disengages the 'I think it's only a fart' diagnostic process in my head. Getting older sucks....lol

I'll now turn it over to the young bucks to flame away on me for being an old fart, bitch and moaner and how easy it is. I'll sit here and drink my much deserved beer and remember how easy things use to be.
having a nice cold pbr waitin for ya at the end of the job must be incentive-o-plenty to get it done quickly and precisely