Thoughts and impressions so far

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackFrostXTR

Reaction score
So I've had the 2017 Raptor now for about a month. Thought I'd share some impressions and views. I have the crew cab in Avalanche with all the exterior graphics. The Avalanche is a funky color, I do like it, but can not appreciate it in pictures.

It is a burly looking truck, it definitely draws looks and attention. We had it out to dinner the first night and the valet parked it between a McLaren and a Ferrari. I got a good chuckle out of that. The build quality and interior is pretty awesome, I went with the orange accent leather, it really makes for a sharp interior with the carbon fiber.

I will also note I owned the 2014, so can make some distinctions as well. First, the seat and controls are more intuitive and comfortable. Everything is laid out really well and I like the modes on the 4WD shifting. The full moonroof is awesome! Not quite a convertible but pretty close.

Now, driving. This thing goes like a scalded dog. It is fast and, more surprisingly, handles really, really well. One benefit I wasn't expecting was all the 2014 owners in the area pulling up next to me on the highway, flipping me off and gunning their engines, I'm supposing to prove their superiority. I still love the 14's - why is this a thing? But back to driving experience. The shifting is a bit to get used to, but I find leaving the truck in sport mode gets better performance if not using paddles. And the paddles are a MAJOR improvement over the push button on the stick shift.

Off Road - damn. Cannot say enough. Though one warning - this truck is faster and lighter. We found this out catching air unexpectedly over a drop we used to roll. But the suspension did its job and we kept on rolling. Haven't done any real deep stuff yet, but so far I'm impressed.

So, I'll address the engine issue. Yes, I had a lot of debate with myself when it was announced this was to be a V6 (THE HORROR), and yes, I loved, loved, loved the 6.2L V8 (I used to remote start it in the commuter lot just to hear the engine) and yes, the V6 does not have the exhaust note of the V8. It's very different, but has its own character and while I miss the V8 tone, not enough to give up this unbelievable truck. I'm planning to have tuning, exhaust and other mods, so the sound will change anyway (thinking Borla, the ATAK sounds pretty awesome, but going for performance).

I do, however, have two complaints on the truck. First, whoever designed the brakes for this vehicle should be beaten or shot. I am assuming they decided that since the truck was 500 lbs lighter, they could skimp on brakes. Quite a surprise for me and the minivan in front of me when I almost ended up in their cargo area. The brakes suck and will be replaced with the rest of the performance mods.

Second, and I know this is a minor complaint, but again, whoever designed the soft tonneau cover needs to be beaten. If you have not ordered the truck yet, DO NOT ORDER THE TONNEAU COVER WITH THE BED EXTENDERS! Whoever the genius was that designed the release for the tonneau cover put a spring loaded latch that you pull straight down. Good luck if you have the bed extenders in the truck. I had to bend the bed extenders to get it off.

Other than these two complaints, the truck is awesome and I'm very happy with the purchase. Can't wait to complete the modifications and really run it.

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpg
    IMG_5911.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5982.jpg
    IMG_5982.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5983.jpg
    IMG_5983.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 132

tightt

Reaction score
I love the orange accents on the grill and appliqué....is that vinyl or paint?

Also...where in NJ are you located? Its always nice to have local Raptor guys!

Last edited:

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great review. I can not believe that there are jerk offs in GEN1s that would flip you off instead of a wave...that's just wrong.

I've had similar experiences from G1 as well as some idiots driving plain Jane Ram 1500's with a POS "Hemi".

Although some of the G1 drivers just try to pretend you're not there.

I just smile knowing how badly they'd likely be embarrassed if I decided to play their little games.

I actually had one Ram idiot drive past me and drift back and forth in the left lane gunning his engine for about 1/2 mile. It was obnoxious and retarded high school crap from a "grown" man.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had similar experiences from G1 as well as some idiots driving plain Jane Ram 1500's with a POS "Hemi".

Although some of the G1 drivers just try to pretend you're not there.

I just smile knowing how badly they'd likely be embarrassed if I decided to play their little games.

I actually had one Ram idiot drive past me and drift back and forth in the left lane gunning his engine for about 1/2 mile. It was obnoxious and retarded high school crap from a "grown" man.

I dusted Ram guys regularly in my 6.2. They truly want no part of Jenny!!!