Thoughts on 2017 Raptor Shudder?...still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been to the dealerships 8 times to address a shudder / shaking in my truck. First dealership refused to admit any problems, blaming it on lane departure / keeping system. The second said there was definitely something wrong before I pulled out of the parking lot.

Symptoms:
-whole cabin shaking nonstop.
-Steering wheel has a strong rumble and after a fine hour drive my forearms and shoulders are stiff.
-every 2-3 seconds a large shudder occurs in addition to the constant shaking. If I have my head on the headrest it throws my head off.
-coffee/drinks spill out of cups in the cupholders even with lids on.
-max average of 16.7 fuel economy with Grandma driving

Dealership actions:
-balance tires 3x
-replaced one defective tire
-replaced driveshaft (supposedly, the first dealership said they did, but never did any of the servicing they said, ever)

Conditions:
-Smooth roads, any speed. Most noticeable going up hill
-using cruise control on highway and local streets to avoid harsh acceleration
-93 octane fuel
-mileage - just hit 4500 today. Bought the truck JAN 2017, but deployed for six months and let someone drive it periodically

Any thoughts? Ford corporate opened two cases on it and I want my truck to run, but I know if I say lemon law some forum fairy will flame me [emoji23]. I've got SVC's CAS, bump stop kit, and Deavers on the way so I want to hear opinions before I dump a ton into the truck. Also about to mount my Baja Designs LP9s on an N-Fab bar courtesy of Apollo Optics, but again hesitant since the truck is a bitch to drive on the road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

So I've been to the dealerships 8 times to address a shudder / shaking in my truck. First dealership refused to admit any problems, blaming it on lane departure / keeping system. The second said there was definitely something wrong before I pulled out of the parking lot.

Symptoms:
-whole cabin shaking nonstop.
-Steering wheel has a strong rumble and after a fine hour drive my forearms and shoulders are stiff.
-every 2-3 seconds a large shudder occurs in addition to the constant shaking. If I have my head on the headrest it throws my head off.
-coffee/drinks spill out of cups in the cupholders even with lids on.
-max average of 16.7 fuel economy with Grandma driving

Dealership actions:
-balance tires 3x
-replaced one defective tire
-replaced driveshaft (supposedly, the first dealership said they did, but never did any of the servicing they said, ever)

Conditions:
-Smooth roads, any speed. Most noticeable going up hill
-using cruise control on highway and local streets to avoid harsh acceleration
-93 octane fuel
-mileage - just hit 4500 today. Bought the truck JAN 2017, but deployed for six months and let someone drive it periodically

Any thoughts? Ford corporate opened two cases on it and I want my truck to run, but I know if I say lemon law some forum fairy will flame me [emoji23]. I've got SVC's CAS, bump stop kit, and Deavers on the way so I want to hear opinions before I dump a ton into the truck. Also about to mount my Baja Designs LP9s on an N-Fab bar courtesy of Apollo Optics, but again hesitant since the truck is a bitch to drive on the road.

Typo, meant to say five hour drive. Also, running stock everything. Sync 3.0 thanks to the thread on the forums.

Sidenote, my mileage gauge with the blue bar jumps all over the place non-stop. Posted a video of it when I first got the truck but I heard it was nothing from my ****** first dealership that Ford corporate said not to go to anymore.

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like could be an exhaust problem or something

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

I’m not much of a mechanic though

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it smooth coasting down a hill? does it shake (worse) under acceleration?

OP
OP
HunyaKitti

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it smooth coasting down a hill? does it shake (worse) under acceleration?
It is still rough coasting down a hill. Going uphill it feels like I'm lugging the engine no matter what RPM. It's like driving a Ducati in first gear all day.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Definitely more noticeable under acceleration though, regardless of what mode it's in.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is still rough coasting down a hill. Going uphill it feels like I'm lugging the engine no matter what RPM. It's like driving a Ducati in first gear all day.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Definitely more noticeable under acceleration though, regardless of what mode it's in.

Funny its not pulling up and codes...right? So if its not, it HAS to be a mechanical failure. Meaning not a misfire (electrical) but an actual part failing that the computer is not able to detect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
OP
HunyaKitti

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes, but funny thing the first dealership reset the PCM and refused to schedule me another service appointment even with Ford corporate telling them to on a conference call. But yeah, I'm thinking mechanical.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m intrigued by @Hockster’s suggestion.

- does it shudder at idle, or revving with no load?
- is the shudder proportional to either rpm or speed?
- and difference in drive mode, particularly 2 vs 4 wheel drive?

All of this is great fodder for bench mechanics, but as you probably know, auto mechanics greatly resent self diagnosing customers. If you tell an auto mechanic you have a set of symptoms, and suspect a broken part it’s an almost guarantee that is the last thing looked at.

Can you put a go-pro or other cam under the truck and record the driveshaft?

If you’re able to get video, I would test with video in the engine compartment, driveshaft, each wheel well, possibly the transfer case areas, then get some in cabin video.

Call Ford corporate and the them you want a resolution, that you need to have a competent dealer look at the truck, diagnose the problem and fix it. You’ve given the dealers several tries, now you have video showing the problems, no more cheaping out saying ‘can’t replicate’.

DO NOT modify the truck. Once you start with the mods, it makes diagnostics more difficult and gives Ford an easy out.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Careful when doing this, but when it is safe, drop the truck into neutral and see if the shutter disappears. If it is still present, that eliminates engine and transmission as sources. Probably a bent rim or axle or a lose hub. If it disappears, then it is transmission or engine related.

As for lemon law, if the dealer cannot identify and fix the problem, this is exact reason the law was created. Guys who are waiting on back ordered parts and cruising around in a Platinum loaner have a weak case for replacement, but your case is strong if Ford cannot figure out what is wrong.

OP
OP
HunyaKitti

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful when doing this, but when it is safe, drop the truck into neutral and see if the shutter disappears. If it is still present, that eliminates engine and transmission as sources. Probably a bent rim or axle or a lose hub. If it disappears, then it is transmission or engine related.

As for lemon law, if the dealer cannot identify and fix the problem, this is exact reason the law was created. Guys who are waiting on back ordered parts and cruising around in a Platinum loaner have a weak case for replacement, but your case is strong if Ford cannot figure out what is wrong.
I'll give this a shot today. I'll try to get video footage tomorrow since it's raining today and let you guys know. It's a shame since the truck has very low mileage and is amazing off road.