GEN 2 Test driving new Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwvdds02

Reaction score
I'm set on ordering a 2018 Raptor, but I can't get any local dealers to let me test drive a 2017. Anyone have any luck driving one before they bought it? The dealers keep telling me, you aren't allowed to test drive them. The best I've done is sit in one. It's so annoying. Before I drop $70k I'd like to take a test drive. Is that wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I can see them balking at a test drive if you come in and say ‘hey, I want to order a 2018, can I drive that 2017 out there?’

I get your recalcitrance. This was the first vehicle I put money down on without driving first, but there weren’t any to drive! I did get to test drive before I dropped any more $$$ or signed any paperwork. I’m surprised my sales lady still speaks to me, and my wife was browbeating me to apologize, but for this kind of money, I was darn sure going to make sure I’d be happy with it.

If you’re just testing the road manners, be sure you test normal (eco) mode and sport mode, there’s a big difference in driving behavior. Also, I’m kind of fond of 4a as opposed to 2h as the default. when you change modes, 2h is the default for both normal and sport so give them a try. I bought in January and there was sand / salt on the roads. in 2h the truck just spun like crazy a lot of times, but 4a goes a long way to helping get the truck moving out sharply.

If you’re serious about purchasing from them they’ll let you test drive.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm set on ordering a 2018 Raptor, but I can't get any local dealers to let me test drive a 2017. Anyone have any luck driving one before they bought it? The dealers keep telling me, you aren't allowed to test drive them. The best I've done is sit in one. It's so annoying. Before I drop $70k I'd like to take a test drive. Is that wrong?

Most folks on here, myself included, bought without test driving. Personally, I'd never even seen a 2017 Raptor in person until I arrived at the dealer to pick mine up. There were certain things I was mildly nervous about, such as whether or not I'd find the seats comfortable, but I'd done my research and I knew I wanted the truck.

If you've sat in one, you have a much better idea what the truck is like than many other people had when they took the plunge. The bottom line is that you're not going to drive it and say "nah, I didn't really enjoy that". I'm pretty sure no one has ever said that after driving a Raptor of any year.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove one at two different dealerships before I purchased. They are out there. Of course, it probably helped that I showed up in a 2011 SCREW, so they knew I was serious.

OP
OP
J

jwvdds02

Reaction score
I drove one at two different dealerships before I purchased. They are out there. Of course, it probably helped that I showed up in a 2011 SCREW, so they knew I was serious.

Good point. I did pull up in a 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat but they still denied me and they did have them on the lot. They were being really difficult about it. The dealers that have them around here just won't let people test drive them.

It's not that I won't love it, I could tell by sitting in it that I would. I just wanted to see how it handled on the road.

Honestly I've read enough to push forward and order one. But sometimes it's nice to take it for a spin.

Heck BMW let me drive a 7 series no questions asked.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. I did pull up in a 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat but they still denied me and they did have them on the lot. They were being really difficult about it. The dealers that have them around here just won't let people test drive them.

It's not that I won't love it, I could tell by sitting in it that I would. I just wanted to see how it handled on the road.

Honestly I've read enough to push forward and order one. But sometimes it's nice to take it for a spin.

Heck BMW let me drive a 7 series no questions asked.

Trucks like these and the buyers that go with them care about miles. For whatever reason that is a massive deal on a lot purchased raptor.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let us test drive after approval for finance. before we did any papers to take it home. trade in was a 14 lariat heavy duty.

Snakedriver

Reaction score
They may not let people drive them because they don't want miles on them. Anyone paying MSRP or more will not want miles on the truck. There have been threads about delivery miles and a lot of people want as few miles as possible before delivery.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahE