Tech package and Radar detector guys.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my BlendMount Mirror Tap Power Cords and the BlendMount for my V1. I appreciate those who did this before and shared their installation experience and info here as it came in very handy. Here's my input FWIW:

I didn't use the .040 Taps which are the smallest (thinnest) blades - some said that's what they used. Instead I used the .045 Taps as the .040's were too thin and pulled out very easily:

1.jpg

So, as noted previously:

* Remove the upper piece of plastic - the top shroud - by using plastic tools to pry it down from the roof liner. There are 2 metal spring clips inside so you just pry the upper/top shroud down and the plastic piece will come loose and you can remove it.

* The lower piece of plastic - the lower shroud is then removed without tools. There are plastic clips on each side and you can pull the lower shroud apart gently to pull it away from the windshield.

* The white plug (on Raptors with the power/auto rearview mirror) is then pulled out. I looked for a release tab, etc. but there is none - this plug just pulls out. You can then insert the Mirror Taps into the black and 2nd yellow wire locations.

* Put the shrink tube over the MirrorTap cord (I used a 10" cord and it's just barely long enough) so you can shrink tube the connections of the two MirrorTaps and the cord. Then use a zip tie (one of the 2 provided) and secure the MirrorTap cord to the other 2 cords to ensure you won't pull the wires apart when removing the cord from your radar detector.

As noted previously, plug in the white plug (before you heat the shrink tube) to ensure it works (remember to turn on the Raptor).

Then reassemble the plastic shroud by putting the Lower Shroud on first and then the Upper Shroud.

That's it. If you take your time like I did it should take about 20 minutes (or less).

Followed this and it worked great. One thing I struggled with was detaching the white plug. It does have a tab that needs to be depressed on the passenger side in order to release it (at least on my 2018). I could see how someone could go to pull it out and successfully depress the tab by accident and not realize it was there.

I’m not using a mirror mount, but the enhanced suction mount for my 9500ix, mounted right under the mirror. The 15” cord was just enough and I used the second-to-smallest size pins to plug into the white plug.

Took me 45 minutes to install because I spent a while fumbling with it, but it would be 15 minutes if you’re better at it than me.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would call that a full list any more, as the first post with the details has not been updated since August 2016...

Of course, I did not read all 22 pages, but I know my Wife's Cadillac XT5 is not even mentioned and hers does it to mine.

Well my post that you quoted is 13 months old, so...

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well my post that you quoted is 13 months old, so...

Yes, I saw that after I replied. :sorry:

These days, my radar detector is seldom accurate and getting to the point that it almost useless. I pretty much ignore anything K band and only pay attention to Ka hits. Since the police in Texas do not use X, turned it off on mine several years ago.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How well do these radar detectors work? Don’t cops use infrared or something now that is a lot quicker then traditional radar? I’ve gotten pulled over from going past cops the opposite way just the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morn

Reaction score
The top of the line detectors of today (Valentine 1, ****** Max 360, Uniden R1/R3) work very well. Here's some resources to check out which will answer all of your questions and more:

https://www.rdforum.org
https://www.vortexradar.com

To answer your specific question, cops can use laser as well as radar. For the protection against laser, you need a laser jammer. Vortex has lots of info on those as well.

Last edited:

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed Max 360 with mirror tap with blend mount with tech pack and no issues so far with lane keep assist,adaptive cruise engaged.

On a side note if anyone is trying to install a mirror tap/blend mount with the tech pack the top piece of plastic that goes into the headliner there are two metal clips that hold it into place. Just use a small trim tool(plastic) and pop one side and just pull straight down from the headliner area and remove. The big piece of plastic that flushes up to the windshield will stay in place. There are two plugs, a white one(drivers side) and a black(passenger side). The white plug is the one you are going to want to tap into. The white plug has a black wire in the top of the clip, this is where you want to tie your negative(black) on your mirror tap. Under that, third wire down/bottom yellow wire, is where you want to tie your positive/red wire on mirror tap. This will allow power to the radar detector in auxiliary mode or when the truck I see started. It will not turn off with auto start/stop but will power radar detector off only when you hit start/stop button to turn motor off/auxiliary off. Don't forget to test once you tap into back of white plug but make sure you plug it back in first. Hope this helps!

View attachment 88831

View attachment 88832

Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Plan to do this with Blendmount, wire tap for my Gen.2 Raptor and Max 360c.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, THANK YOU. I'm new to Raptors and am going to look at a 2019 802B truck tomorrow. I use a similar mount system that clamps onto the mirror post/taps into the mirror power on my DD Expedition and have the same mounts in my Viper, GT350, etc. and can move my V1 from car to car on all of 5 seconds. Pics above and pin out are greatly appreciated. I remembered tonight seeing the triangular mirror cover and panicked wondering how in the world it would work on the Raptor. I feel alittle better now. LOL. Wish me luck tomorrow.....

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I picked up my 2019 last night. The mirror mount is not like shown in the (great) pic on page 1. The large plastic cover is smaller and is above the mirror, not in the way as shown. More like my 2015 Expedition. Should make for an easier installation. I'll order a new set of Blendmount taps (I just cut mine off at the dealership when trading last night) and will take a few pics when I install. This is a SCREW 802a Tech truck. thanks

RM4mLu.jpg

uFOuCt.jpg

S9azMB.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir