tailgate thefts on the rise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let us know how it works... I will probably order this or something similar. Honestly this makes me think a simple metal hose clamp would almost do the trick at least to slow down a theft.

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people will forget to lock the tailgate at just the wrong time and then it's gone. Happened to a buddy of mine with his new F350 - I think his new tailgate was a couple of thousand! These work exactly the same as a hose clamp but they have a special key that's more difficult to replicate...Anything extra that buys more time will help...

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At least our tailgates lock when you lock the truck... that should also save someone's 'tail'.

yeah, our neighbor's kid left his baseball glove in their Platinum F-150 - got the keys, unlocked the truck, grabbed the glove and ran back into the house without locking it....

$500 deductible later they have a new shiny tailgate :crazy:

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be curious if the appliqué tailgates are stolen at a much higher rate than the non-applique tailgates.

D

Deleted member 12951

Tailgates are always stolen, it's been happening forever and there was a rise even on the GEN1's. I've tried two different ones and the McGard hands down in the best. The other one I tried was more like a hose clamp but it will tear up the paint. The McGard is protected by a plastic guard and for the last 2+ years and heavy off-roading, it hasn't scratched the paint up. And think again if locking the tailgate works. Thieves have been known to get in the bed and unscrew the panel to pull the levers to open the tailgate and take it. And most tonneau covers can be broken into with a long crowbar.

A tailgate with camera is over $2,000 and can be sold on craigslist quickly for $800. Some legitimate junkyards will refuse to take them, knowing that someone trying to sell just that is most likely stolen.