Sync software update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wdh777

Reaction score
Trying to update software from 2.3 to 3.0 so I can use waze. I got a WiFi connection but when I search for updates it just looks forever and doesn’t find anything? Do I need to do this via a usb drive and download it from a computer? But it seems to allow software updates via WiFi. Very confusing. Thanks

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will download through wifi, BUT it will take so long you'll think it isn't working. I recommend downloading from the Ford site and using USB. That's what I finally did after deciding the wait for wifi wasn't worth it. USB works great and leaves a file on the usb drive that you send to Ford to confirm the successful update.

I updated both my SYNC 3 vehicles with the same USB drive.

OP
OP
W

Wdh777

Reaction score
It will download through wifi, BUT it will take so long you'll think it isn't working. I recommend downloading from the Ford site and using USB. That's what I finally did after deciding the wait for wifi wasn't worth it. USB works great and leaves a file on the usb drive that you send to Ford to confirm the successful update.

I updated both my SYNC 3 vehicles with the same USB drive.

Thanks. How long does the update take? The web site says a full hour?
How do update the file to the ford site? Thanks

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't remember exactly, but it took about 10-15 minutes to upload into the vehicle(s). The web site download was less than 15 minutes as well. The download will really depend on your ISP.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Once the file downloads to USB it’s about 15 minutes in the truck. Sync will restart several times.

3.0 is buggy on mine. I keep getting the look for available WiFi pop up every time I start the truck along with the FordApp collecting data through my cell network.

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once the file downloads to USB it’s about 15 minutes in the truck. Sync will restart several times.

3.0 is buggy on mine. I keep getting the look for available WiFi pop up every time I start the truck along with the FordApp collecting data through my cell network.

Turn off auto update and it will stop seeking

Last edited:

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep. Got the same observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Related: I received an e-mail from Ford today informing me that the vehicle health reports through Ford Sync have been discontinued.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trying to update software from 2.3 to 3.0 so I can use waze. I got a WiFi connection but when I search for updates it just looks forever and doesn’t find anything? Do I need to do this via a usb drive and download it from a computer? But it seems to allow software updates via WiFi. Very confusing. Thanks

I had this for so long with 2.3 that I finally gave up, until 3.0 came out. Then my truck found the update (2.3) and starting updating, but extremely slowly. Ended up moving my booster right next to the truck and it was done by the next day. Can't find 3.0 yet tho.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Related: I received an e-mail from Ford today informing me that the vehicle health reports through Ford Sync have been discontinued.

Never saw the point of that anyway if it send you other things as they happen. Like TPMS alerts every time I air down to run the beach, gee thanks, didnt know........and the trans clip recall, nice to know that quickly.