Stubby antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found one that works? Have friends who have bought the top rated ones off of Amazon but continuesly loose signal.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock antenna length isn't as long as it is just for the heck of it. You're going to reduce your reception with a stubby, there's no way around that. It just depends on how important radio reception is to you. I use my phone for music 90% of the time so its a non-issue for me.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Radio nuts know that a 5/8 wave antenna pulls in the most signal. Modern automotive antennas have the antenna wire wound in spiral fashion around the mast, making a physically shorter antenna function like it was a 5/8 wave antenna. I had an aftermarket 17 inch antenna with tighter windings on my truck for year before it broke, and it performed at least as well as the factory antenna. If memory serves, I believe I got it at O'Reilly's.

OP
OP
B

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio nuts know that a 5/8 wave antenna pulls in the most signal. Modern automotive antennas have the antenna wire wound in spiral fashion around the mast, making a physically shorter antenna function like it was a 5/8 wave antenna. I had an aftermarket 17 inch antenna with tighter windings on my truck for year before it broke, and it performed at least as well as the factory antenna. If memory serves, I believe I got it at O'Reilly's.

Thanks. I'll look for one there

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Stubby from Craven Speed. I hardly ever listen to FM and just bought it for looks. Depending on where you live, you may get pretty good or terrible reception.

Yipekiye

Reaction score
I got the stubby because the original antenna kept banging on my garage door. I was previously getting HD reception from a radio station about 60 miles away. Now, I usually get the station, but no HD. I have changed to getting the same station via an app on my phone. Problem solved.