Stressful 1st day of delivery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got word of delivery on 1/20. Immediately drove 5 hrs to WI the next day and drove it back. If 10hrs driving that day wasn't enough, I decided to go out with the wife. Took the truck downtown Minneapolis and decided to try to park in a parking ramp (should've know better) that listed ht at 6'8", antenna tapped on way in but ceiling looked much higher. Low and behold the exit of this ramp is down 2 levels, back up 2, then around some spiral turns and it feels like the walls are closing in the further I go. The ramp ceiling progressively got shorter. I was ******** my pants as I literally had 1" of space before my roof ripped off! I also had about 10 pissed off cars behind me while I drove 2mph. Well finally I got out unharmed although the antenna took a beating. Next went down a road which was closed due to construction and had to navigate a Y turn to turn around. This isn't easy with a 19' truck in the dark and after one of your contacts falls out limiting your depth perception. Again, another 10 cars waiting behind me. Got out after shimming my way out. (BTW, this transmission does not shift quickly from R to D and parking sensors need to be improved).
Once I got out we decided to just go home and forget dinner, however state patrol decided to pull me over for 69 in a 55. Just a warning at least. (This truck drives so smooth you forget your speed).
I normally drive a Tukon Denali, which I thought was big, but this is much larger.
Despite's cluster of a day, I love this beast.
I'll write my impressions on another thread.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks for taking hit on a 6’8” clearance check, I’ve been wanting to confirm this myself as I have one close that is listed 6’8”. I’m still going to measure and be sure before I venture inside. I’m encouraged because there is a woman with a lifted jeep who parks inside and she said her jeep measures 6’5” and she cleared no problems.

You’re right about the truck being deceptively fast.

OP
OP
M

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The warning sign said 6'8" on the ramp entrance, but antenna hit easily. The warning sign dropped quite a bit lower than the ceiling looked, but ceiling ht varied with pipes/utilities hanging lower. Ceiling ht varied within ramp as well. It sucks because once your in, you can't get out!! My advice is to simply stay out of all ramps. Could've let some air out of tires I guess, but I was about to get lynched by the mob of liberal MN Toyota Prius behind me. They already despise anyone in a truck and were foaming at the mouth. I should get a smart car for my city excursions.
I know a guy who brought a dually extended bed into a ramp that appeared to have easy clearance and width on entry however didn't know it had a spiral drive exit! He got wedged in and some concrete had to be removed to help him out!!!! Truck suffered a lot of damage obviously. These trucks are for the country, not the city!

baja714

Reaction score
Man, I havent taken delivery yet but my work structure says 6'7 max height. I've measure the lowest point at 81". From specs the trucks height is 77". Its somewhat of a newer structure maybe just over 10 years old so hopefully its code to put less than the actual height as a cya. Otherwise, boss is gonna have to let me work from home everyday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I havent taken delivery yet but my work structure says 6'7 max height. I've measure the lowest point at 81". From specs the trucks height is 77". Its somewhat of a newer structure maybe just over 10 years old so hopefully its code to put less than the actual height as a cya. Otherwise, boss is gonna have to let me work from home everyday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No PERCH for you!:driver:
Tone

Vince

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a time with my GEN1 in new york city. I had to back out the way I came in a very narrow garage as there was no room to turn around. It was hilarious!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
<merciful snip>
the mob of liberal MN Toyota Prius behind me.

Priusies. :supergay:

Do you have the species of priusies known as the HOV lane hogging hyper miler? These F*ckwits sit in either the only HOV lane, fast lane of HOV right next to a slow mover at exactly the same speed, or a pack of priusies, all traveling 5-10 under the speed limit.

I’ve gotten stuck behind them on my bike a few times in HOV at 10 under the limit, unwilling to budge, speed up or slow down. I believe their “magic milage spot is 52-53 mph, because this is often where I find them rolling along in HOV. This species is immune to hints, clues, common sense, lane discipline, motoring courtesy and are convinced of their moral superiority. Try to pass them, sometimes they swerve at you. At least they did until I got my video cam hard mounted.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's is very satisfying to roll coal into the window of a hypermiling school of Prii.