GEN 2 Storing extra gas in your Covered Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stupid question, how safe is it to store gas in your bed for emergency purposes? I've got four 5 gallon VP racing utility jugs in the bed.

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how safe or not this is.....

ETA: They are ratchet strapped and secure.

Last edited:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HKGuns,
I do the same. Gas out here is $1 more/gallon than just 50 miles west. So every time I travel west I fill up as well as the VP jugs....

Eddie
ps they're billed as 5 gallon jugs, but I've had no issues putting 5.5 gallons regularly. Indeed I had 6 gallons in each several times with minimal drip from the vent caps...

7GenTex

Reaction score
Ex smoke breather here............

20 gallons? - Damn!

Safe - a relative term

Strapped in near the back window?
(which broke open during the collision)

or........

Strapped in near the rear bumper?
(which crushed / split the cans open during the collision?)

Most probable - not a problem

Worse case - you don't want to know. Won't matter anyways........

Statistics are a bitch - especially when it happens to you!

FYI - Long term (6 months +) - plastic cans "breathe" and the gas will go bad sooner than metal / sealed NATO type cans.

Disclaimer - I have 2 ea. 5 gal. metal NATO cans secured in HD brackets midway between the wheel wells and the rear tailgate in the bed.
(SuperCab - smaller tank)

With a 2.5 lb. extinguisher secured inside and "reachable", and a 5 lb. extinguisher secured in the bed near the cab - though not necessarily for the gas can aspect.............medic bag and entry tools as well - always.

FYI - Fire sucks - and hurts more than just about anything else I have experienced.

Be safe! :biggrin:

OP
OP
hkguns

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
20 gallons? - Damn!

Safe - a relative term

Strapped in near the back window?

(which broke open during the collision)

or........

Strapped in near the rear bumper?

(which crushed / split the cans open during the collision?)

Most probable - not a problem

Worse case - you don't want to know. Won't matter anyways........

Statistics are a bitch - especially when it happens to you!

FYI - Long term (6 months +) - plastic cans "breathe" and the gas will go bad sooner than metal / sealed NATO type cans.

Disclaimer - I have 2 ea. 5 gal. metal NATO cans secured in HD brackets midway between the wheel wells and the rear tailgate in the bed.

(SuperCab - smaller tank)

With a 2.5 lb. extinguisher secured inside and "reachable", and a 5 lb. extinguisher secured in the bed near the cab - though not necessarily for the gas can aspect.............medic bag and entry tools as well - always.

FYI - Fire sucks - and hurts more than just about anything else I have experienced.

Be safe! :biggrin:

Strapped in the forward area of the cab, right near the window! I do have a fire extinguisher under the back seat as well as a medic kit on the opposite side of the cab with tourniquet and blood clotting gauze! I even have a fire axe stored behind the back seat for log chopping duty and it could double as aluminum chopping if required. [emoji4]

They are all rocking the appropriate amount of stabil and I plan on using them before the shelf life wears out.

I'm really trying hard to be safe, which is why I am asking the stupid question!

Vented or sealed?

The post above is right, they are not nearly full at 5 gallons and I could see where they could easily hold six gallons.

Last edited:

7GenTex

Reaction score
In the cab?

Hopefully you meant the gas is in in the bed, near the cab..........

Not in the cab please. And, sealed.

Sounds as if you are ready for GSWs with the medical?

Tell me the axe is not in the cab either......or extremely secured - please.

Secure EVERYTHING in the cab - twice!

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Vented can under a bed cover will fill the bed with fumes. Unvented cans could rupture if left in the hot sun. When I need to haul fuel I use vented cans and do not cover the bed.

OP
OP
hkguns

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully you meant the gas is in in the bed, near the cab..........

Not in the cab please. And, sealed.

Sounds as if you are ready for GSWs with the medical?

Tell me the axe is not in the cab either......or extremely secured - please.

Secure EVERYTHING in the cab - twice!

Gas is not in the cab, it is in the forward portion of the bed. The Axe is in the cab, secured behind the rear seats.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Vented can under a bed cover will fill the bed with fumes. Unvented cans could rupture if left in the hot sun. When I need to haul fuel I use vented cans and do not cover the bed.

They are currently vented as that was my logic with the vapors. Sounds like you are not in favor of hauling gas in the bed regularly.

Last edited: