Stock intercooler has oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SJRaptorG2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I inspected the stock cooler that was replaced during the whipple stage 1 upgrade and it has oil residue inside. The oil is heaviest in the large cold side outlet tube (from cooler to throttle body). It appears that vaporized oil enters the hot side, and then cools as it is passing through the cooling fins, then liquefies and settles along the cool side large intake tube.

I have a catch can installed from hot side passenger pcv, but there currently is no catch made for the latest ecoboost cold side going directly into the driver side turbo. I have tried several, even including the sensor but it still throws codes. Truck has 31,000 mi, so the oil residue is not that bad considering the miles and the way I drive it, but I would like to add a cold side catch can if anyone can make one that does not throw codes.

Hope the whipple intercooler can handle the vapors coming from the driver side turbo better.

BTW, no weep hole suggestions please.

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be curious as to why so much oil as well. I am no turbo guru by any means but when I have seem them off porsche turbos and gtrs there is no oil in them? What catch can are you running?

RaptorUSN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This makes me wonder if I should still pull the trigger on an AFE intercooler???

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the issue is not the IC but a seal on the turbo letting oil into the IC. Can anyone confirm they have oil in oem or bigger IC?

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had oil in both. But the amount of oil wasn't that much. Seemed more like residue. I just picked up a catch can to reduce the oil.

RaptorUSN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m going back and forth between theirs and the AFE when I do my ADD bumper.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like the issue is not the IC but a seal on the turbo letting oil into the IC. Can anyone confirm they have oil in oem or bigger IC?
ya. i posted pics in the whipple cac install thread. oem cac at 9k miles had about 2 ounces of liquid between all 3 holes. 2 in and 1 out

on the whipple since my cold side pipe t-bolt clamps snapped on higher side i inspected and no liquid coming out of the whipple cac so far.