Sports Car Owners: Do You Think The Truck is Quick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice post and I agree with most of it! However, the stock F150 3.5 eco is faster than our stock Raptors due to the additional weight and larger tire size.

They are pretty close and depends on whose doing the testing. Car and Driver had 5.1 raptor vs 5.7 eco.

I think the Raptor is quick in the sense that some random person in your truck will definitely be impressed the acceleration, especially for such a heavy truck.

Now I had the 6.2L V8 AMG before....that thing was fast.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice post and I agree with most of it! However, the stock F150 3.5 eco is faster than our stock Raptors due to the additional weight and larger tire size. :mad:

Reposted here so you don't have to search...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDVi0y-9xk

Yeah, I have seen that video. I see this as a sample set of one (each), and subject to question until more information is known. I am not saying they are wrong, I just would like to see someone else repeat the results.

In that test, for a single measured run of each truck, they get a 6.5 sec for the F150 and 6.73 sec for the Raptor. But in a later video they do multiple runs with the F150, each measured, and they never again get a 6.5, the best they get is 6.6 and up to 6.9. In a previous video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzzcSQyfTa4 ), at the same location and altitude, the same people got 6.17 sec 0-60 out of a Raptor (2017 SCAB). All their testing is at 1 mile ASL, so the times are slower than at sea level.

I have no problem believing the larger tires and weight make a difference, it is just physics. But another factor is the axle ratio, and the Raptor has 4.10:1 while the best you can get in the other F150 is, I think, 3.73, as an option. While that can’t compensate for rolling resistance or wheel weight that should go at least part way to compensating for diameter. Assuming the tires are the factory 315/70/17 for the Raptor (34.4” diameter) and the 265/70/17 for the F150 (31.6” diameter), the Raptor will turn more RPM (by about 1%) at any given speed, compensating for the larger diameter wheel (but not for increased wheel weight or rolling resistance).

Yes I agree, the Limited, with the 3.5 HO motor, lighter weight, and smaller tires, should beat the Raptor with no question.

T!

Last edited:

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's ok for a truck but not quick at all compared to a sports car. It's rated at around 5.1 seconds 0-60 and 13.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Those numbers are almost identical to the sport version of the Ford Fusion, so not very impressive.

To me you aren't even approaching "quick" until you are well under 4 seconds 0-60 and under 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
You realize that the old fox 5.0 Mustangs did not get that fast (13.8 in 1,320) for many years into their reign. VERY few of the legendary " big block muscle cars" could break a low 14.

Car and Driver put the gen2 Raptor as the 3rd fastest stock factory truck they ever tested, only the SRT-10 (viper engine) and the Lightning (5.4 supercharged) were faster in drag racing than the Raptor. Neither of them was set up to handle much more than a gravel road.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You realize that the old fox 5.0 Mustangs did not get that fast (13.8 in 1,320) for many years into their reign. VERY few of the legendary " big block muscle cars" could break a low 14.

Car and Driver put the gen2 Raptor as the 3rd fastest stock factory truck they ever tested, only the SRT-10 (viper engine) and the Lightning (5.4 supercharged) were faster in drag racing than the Raptor. Neither of them was set up to handle much more than a gravel road.

Yes, old "sports" cars were slow too. I had V8 Mustangs years ago that could barely pull a 15 second 1/4 mile in stock form. They were slow. I added superchargers and forged engines and other things until they could run 11s. It was fun.

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wait till the 2020 7.0 V8 Raptor. That thing is going to be smoking Demons at stop lights and lapping 911s at the Nurburgring.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2018 SCREW for almost 2 months and I love it. My one question is about quickness (or apparent lack thereof). Can someone, with a frame of reference for quick vehicles, give me a subjective impression of the Raptor's acceleration?

The reason I'm asking is that all the reviews made is sound like there's a big "wow" factor when you mash the throttle. I think the truck builds speed pretty quickly for its size, but there's no real feeling of thrust like you get even in some cheaper sports cars. I don't know if I just had higher expectations or if my motor is under powered. Passengers have also commented that it doesn't seem all that impressive on straight-line pavement.

I haven't had a performance vehicle in over 6 years so my memory is fuzzy, but I used to have a Subaru STi which is supposedly similar to the Raptor in acceleration. I could have sworn that car gave the impression of a lot more thrust than my truck does. Is it me or the truck?

It does well for a truck and adding the MPT tune made a huuuuugggggge difference, but without a tune, it doesn't compare to my 2006 Vette.

spg993tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does well for a truck and adding the MPT tune made a huuuuugggggge difference, but without a tune, it doesn't compare to my 2006 Vette.

any concern about the MPT's impact on longevity of motor?i come from the race car world, and sometimes when you tune up a stock motor it comes at cost in terms of durability. i just know nothing about mpt, but ive heard a few good things up here. is that considered a good tune that doesnt expose the motor too much? can you load that tune yourself or do you ahve take it to a dealer?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any concern about the MPT's impact on longevity of motor?i come from the race car world, and sometimes when you tune up a stock motor it comes at cost in terms of durability. i just know nothing about mpt, but ive heard a few good things up here. is that considered a good tune that doesnt expose the motor too much? can you load that tune yourself or do you ahve take it to a dealer?

The tune is loaded and unloaded by you using a device called an ngauge. After driving with it for over 15K miles, I am no longer overly concerned. In addition, I exhaustively searched the internet and I couldn't find any complaints from customers about them. Given the number of tunes that they have sold, if it had any significant impact on engine life, somebody would be talking about it. I'm thinking that if the tune is done correctly and you don't overdue it, you should be fine. They seem to be the highest rated tune by customers from what I can see.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is fast for a truck, but compared to my hellcat it's not very fast. That being said in 4wd and sport mode with my 18 raptor with my MPT tune I think I can take an SS or a 5.0 mustang to 60. Beyond that I'm toast!

Comparing apples to oranges but my '11 Eco F150 w/ MPT 93 PRX makes 400whp and 500wtq... I was dead even with an '11 Mustang GT 30-100. The Raptor is heavier but also should be making a good amount more power with a tune. They aren't fast but they are damn quick.

Beat me to it. The limited version with our engine will no doubt take the cake in this regard when it lands. Low 4s maybe?

Those have AWD as well I think, which would make them dig racing monsters.

Lastly, I'm surprised more of you aren't tuned. Guys are putting out some serious HP numbers in Gen 2 Ecoboosts in F150s, and I'm surprised you all aren't going after the same kind of gains. PC and other throttle manipulation devices don't compare to custom tuning across the board...

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'll say this much...

My 18 on 37s FEELS much much faster than a maserati ghibli.

then again the ghibli is smooth as silk out to 150ish. the raptor? til 80 .