Sport Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trafficman337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just about 700 miles on my 2018. I tried Sport Mode for the first time yesterday. The acceleration was great! However, I found there was a great deal of "winding up". Almost as if there was a delay in shifting. Is this normal? Also, when slowing down, the shifting appeared a bit labored and you could really feel the down shift.

Excuse my ignorance here, but is this normal? Once I went back into Normal Mode, the truck shifted fine, without any winding or labored down shifting.

Just looking to see if I should be making my first trip to the dealer, or if this is how this mode reacts.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have just about 700 miles on my 2018. I tried Sport Mode for the first time yesterday. The acceleration was great! However, I found there was a great deal of "winding up". Almost as if there was a delay in shifting. Is this normal? Also, when slowing down, the shifting appeared a bit labored and you could really feel the down shift.

Excuse my ignorance here, but is this normal? Once I went back into Normal Mode, the truck shifted fine, without any winding or labored down shifting.

Just looking to see if I should be making my first trip to the dealer, or if this is how this mode reacts.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Yes, sport mode is designed to keep the revs between 4k and redline. It runs to redline before upshifting and will hold lower gears when you are out of the throttle instead of upshifting to reduce RPMs.

Miker397

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal. Gear holding is annoying but normal. Fast snap shifts are cool imho

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Sport mode holds the rpms at a minimum of about 1900 unless you’re coming to a stop. Shifts are more positive and deliberate and you have to really try to get the transmission to ‘skip’ gears in sport mode. I’ve done it, but you have to really be babying the throttle ( think, there’s a prius in front of you ).

My ’17 will not upshift into 10th until about 64 mph, but will hold 10th down to about 59 mph in sport mode. By comparison, normal mode upshifts to 10th by about 40 mph in normal. I really do not like normal mode, even with a pedal commander. The truck is constantly trying to hold a higher gear than it should and will try to boost its way to a higher speed, even when you are hitting the throttle hard. In sport, the truck doesn’t hesitate to downshift and responds much better.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The behavior you describe for Sport mode is normal.

I also prefer the responsiveness of Sport mode but the thing with Normal mode is you can really get some excellent MPG for a truck with this size of tires on it, and this much power!

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All normal....The only reason I used Sport mode was that it shut off Auto Stop....now that I did the Forscan change I don't use it.....