GEN 2 Something to be aware of.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles S

Reaction score
Some of you guys may already be aware of this but it was a surprise to me. I am a proud owner of a Gen 2 which I picked up this past Saturday. Last night after taking a shower I went out to move my truck. After I moved it I noticed that I didn't have my key fob with me and that it was still on my night stand in the bedroom. This concerned me so I did an informal experiment and the range of my key fob was about 35 feet! Had I not noticed somebody could have just started her up and split without having the key. I now keep the keys on the other side of the house.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 f150 will not start unless the fob is less than three feet or so from ignition. Are you sure the spare is not in the truck somewhere ?

BlackRap

Reaction score
I think Ford's system needs some work. !/2 the time my external button on the door handle will not work to lock the truck. About 5 times now I have my key in my pocket and I get the big pop up on the instrument cluster that the key is not found but everything still works. 2 days ago the app could find my truck to start it. Maybe this truck should have stayed in ramp 59 for another week...

OP
OP
C

Charles S

Reaction score
Yep, I had both key fobs when I tested it. Judging by the responses it seems to be one of those things that has a lot variance.

Thanks. I'm super happy with my Raptor. It's one of those few instances in life where the reality is actually better than the expectation.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I think Ford's system needs some work. !/2 the time my external button on the door handle will not work to lock the truck. About 5 times now I have my key in my pocket and I get the big pop up on the instrument cluster that the key is not found but everything still works. 2 days ago the app could find my truck to start it. Maybe this truck should have stayed in ramp 59 for another week...

If you have your key in the same pocket as your phone or wallet, it will block the signal. Just an FYI.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is something wrong here and you should have it checked by the dealer. My wife's 2011 Edge Sport won't start unless the fob is inside the vehicle.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't be able to move the truck without the fob inside. Most vehicles have an interlock on the shifter that won't allow the vehicle to come out of park unless the fob is inside and usually it is tied to the ignition too so even if you remote start it you still have to get the fob inside before the truck will recognize that the fob is inside the truck and then it will allow you to shift. There is a pretty noticeable click in my center console after I remote start my car and then when I finally get inside and shut the door and hit start as directed on the screen since it's still in the remote start mode. 35ft is insane though. Someone could get inside for sure but I wouldn't worry about someone being able to steal it. Recognizing the fob outside vs inside are two completely seperate things and if you're able to move it without the fob get they shit fixed asap!

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys may already be aware of this but it was a surprise to me. I am a proud owner of a Gen 2 which I picked up this past Saturday. Last night after taking a shower I went out to move my truck. After I moved it I noticed that I didn't have my key fob with me and that it was still on my night stand in the bedroom. This concerned me so I did an informal experiment and the range of my key fob was about 35 feet! Had I not noticed somebody could have just started her up and split without having the key. I now keep the keys on the other side of the house.

What's your address? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: