GEN 2 so you’re stuck on an island and no starbucks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I just got back from a week in OBX. Alfredo stopped by and dumped a few inches of rain, and left massive puddles everywhere. Mrs. Smurfslayer used to think seeking out huge swaths of water where pavement should be was juvenile.

She was right.

But she’s kind of gotten used to it. It really is impressive how much water the Rap displaces :) Anyway, after this she declares she’d like to go to Ocracoke. We’ve been before so she could visit tourist trap shops, about 10 years ago, after which she declared she was done shopping in 2 hours and there was nothing else to do.

She was right then too.

Anyway, no arguing with it, so 2 hours down, an hour ferry ride complete with hand fed seagulls, 20 more minutes to get into Ocracoke ‘proper’ and we were off.

1718brewing.jpg
There’s a new brewery on the island. saison is great, Mex. chocolate stout pretty good, Notorious F.I.G. was a bit of a let down, but good and has a good name.

but now where to go? Drive thru? Nope. and those damn golf carts are everywhere. They make a disconcerting series of crunch, pop, snap sounds as you run them over.

few choices for java, but at least they reserve a spot up front for Raptors.
nosbux.jpg

Next we waited for the longest time ever to get a coffee flavored drink. After which time she’d had enough and declared “We have to leave the island!” 2.5 hours this time but...once again, she was right.

Lucille was 50% for rerouting around heavy traffic. rerouted automagically around 2, missed 2. One of those was a blocked Hampton Roads bridge/tunnel, pretty significant, but hitting the detour button easily navigated us around the burgeoning mess of peasant vehicles, saving us hours of delay.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics, thanks for sharing, Raptor looking sweet!!

You'll have to get some small golf cart stickers to put along the upper door frame (a la the WWII Air Aces) to keep track of your kills ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I don’t mind it, but my wife couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Not enough places to shop. Funny, because it was her idea to go back there this year.

Dr.McNinja

Reaction score
I don’t mind it, but my wife couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Not enough places to shop. Funny, because it was her idea to go back there this year.

I have a tattoo of the Ocracoke NOAA map on my arm. We went there often when we lived in NC. It's a bit of a drive from TX.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Last time I was there AT&T had zero cell coverage on the island. None. zip. Nada. My wife was just at a loss. It also seemed like there were a lot fewer of those accursed golf carts running around. Still, now they have a brewery so the prospects have improved.