Smoother Transmission Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated in other posts, I am not completely sold on how the 10-speed transmission shifts. Shifts from 6 through 10 gear are great, but under normal accelerations, the shifts from 1st to 3rd and 3rd to 5th (2nd and 4th gears are skipped) are very noticeable to me due to the extra RPMs required to skip the gears and the slower shift speeds. What I have noticed, which makes things much better, is if I continue to add more throttle at the time of the shift, the gear changes are much smoother and actually occur quicker and at lower RPMs. It appears that I like to depress the gas pedal a given distance from the outset and hold it there, but in doing such, the gear change from 1st to 3rd is nowhere near as smooth as if I am adding more throttle while the truck is shifting.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Jeff,

When my wife drives the truck, I don’t feel the issue at all. When I drive, I think I’m noticing what you see as well. When I’m in sport, I find the shift 1-2 can be a bit harsh and on steady throttle, the gears are close enough that just moping around renders the shift on the more noticeable side.

I am not noticing a significant difference in normal mode economy over sport for the way I drive. if it’s there, it’s less than 1mpg.