Slow transmission shift, Drive to Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seatown

Reaction score
Anyone with a 2017 experiencing a slow gear change when going from drive to reverse? I didn't seem to really notice a delay until recently, as it is taking probably 2-3 secs to shift from drive to reverse. In fact today, I was facing a small downhill grade and put it in reverse to back into a parking spot; after I switched to reverse, I gave it some gas and it took so long that it barked the tires due to the RPM level by the time reverse kicked in.

I only have 8k miles on it, and about ready to take it in for an oil change, but I don't feel like spending hours waiting on something that is normal.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Noticed the same. Very annoying if backing up while the nose is downhill. Caught myself rolling into a cub once not anticipating the gear not being engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Seatown

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Now I only have to wait the normal 2 hours for an oil change / inspection at the dealership instead of leaving it overnight.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Now I only have to wait the normal 2 hours for an oil change / inspection at the dealership instead of leaving it overnight.

It's normal and is designed to be a transmission safety to prevent gear shifts while the vehicle is still rolling during parking lot maneuvers.

dgr810

Reaction score
Extremely annoying on my 2018. Especially while trying to turn around in traffic.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 2018 does this. I have noticed it more if you are not 100% at a full stop.

Not that I go into reverse while moving. But if i dont stop and sit for 1-2 seconds it will hang. Kind of tough when i am backing into my driveway and people are right behind me wanting to drive farther down the street.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's normal and is designed to be a transmission safety to prevent gear shifts while the vehicle is still rolling during parking lot maneuvers.

Unfortunately all they've achieved in doing is getting the transmission to engage while our foot is on the gas

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the "shift issue" you are experiencing is most often when facing uphill (going into Drive) or facing downhill (going into Reverse) this delay is normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free