GEN 2 Signing today I Think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pappvol

Reaction score
So I'm trading today. I feel like I've worked the deal over pretty good at this point. I have negotiated to 6,000 under MSRP I'm basically 12,000 upside down in my tundra. With 10,000 down I'm at 71,876 out the door. Tax, title all in. Should I sign today at 5. Never bought a truck that cost this much, my stomach is all messed.

MSRP on Truck is 71,276 and that does not include the lifetime tint, and bed liner from the dealer.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Test drive before you buy. A real test drive, not some guided, namby-pamby, tooling around city streets. Go BIG. If you ride, bring your helmet :biggrin:

Make sure sales-bot is prepared for you to conduct a proper test drive for a 70k truck.

Get pics. Lots of pics. All the way around, underneath, get the roof, interior, everything. Leave nothing to chance. If you spot a defect, point it out before you sign. Check under the truck for any hint of a leak, bent, or broken part. make sure you do a drive that includes some time with the radio off, windows down if tolerable. listen for issues. Test WFO throttle, hard on the brakes, drive modes, etc. Make sure all of it works before you sign.

Read up on here and you’ll find a bunch of users got hit with stuff that would have been caught in a very thorough “pre-flight” and test drive. If manufacturing goofed something up, this is the time to find it.

check your tire pressures right away first off. If they’re over 40 pounds, someone’s not doing their job. manual calls for 38, but some dealers just stuff them to max psi - these dealer mechanics don’t care. you will need to care for them.

if the tire pressures are that high, pop the hood and check the fluids - because they didn’t. Get your pics, video if you need to, and commence your test drive.

check again when you get back, make sure the hoses are still tight, nothing is leaking, hanging down or smoking. Features and inside stuff is secondary, and some of it can be covered in the test drive, but don’t ignore this. Some owners have had radio issues / sync stuff early on.

If you get any static, ask the salesman/woman to demo how to change the tire. :biggrin:

Seriously, my saleswoman was like “Yeah, I have all the time you need for a test drive.” not a hint of resistance or anything from her, s/m or owner.

Take it seriously, as you’re dropping a lot of coin here and it will be a big monthly nut. sign nothing until you have agreement on any discrepancies or deficiencies you identify.

look up the “post all your 2017 Raptor problems here” thread for some guidance.

Good luck, and post pics, or you will be branded a closet prius owner.

Oh... and Welcome to FRF!

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm trading today. I feel like I've worked the deal over pretty good at this point. I have negotiated to 6,000 under MSRP I'm basically 12,000 upside down in my tundra. With 10,000 down I'm at 71,876 out the door. Tax, title all in. Should I sign today at 5. Never bought a truck that cost this much, my stomach is all messed.

MSRP on Truck is 71,276 and that does not include the lifetime tint, and bed liner from the dealer.

I'm confused? You are $12k upside down on your current truck with $10k in cash for a down payment on a $70k truck? Seems to me you are cutting off your nose despite your face.

Basically you are giving Ford your truck (negative $12k + $71k truck = $83k Raptor). You will be equally/worse upside down on this truck too.

Do yourself a favor and put the $10k towards the Tundra and pay down the other $2k and drive it for another 1 - 2 years while saving some money to actually "afford" a new truck. You will thank yourself!

If I was you my underwear would be all messed up too.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would never go upside down on my current vehicle as a trade in unless you got money to burn.

$71K - $6K off sticker = $65K plus tax (5-6%) = $69K?

+ $12K upsidedown on Tundra = $81K

- 10K cash down = $71K

Math makes sense

So question is do you have money to burn? If so who cares and buy it if that's what will make you happy.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you might need to evaluate your finances before you drop a pile of cash on another vehicle.

When I went to sign for mine, there was nothing unnerving about it. I was like **** yeah! Give me the keys!

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was like **** yeah! Give me the keys!

:rofl:

This is the way it should be. Always.

If I was in a **** of a vehicle, I'd absolutely roll my negative equity into a Raptor due to the relative lack of accelerated depreciation on these particular vehicles.

A Tundra is a nice truck and I don't think I'd bring a pile of cash to close only to take a hair cut on it.

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something doesn't seem right with the math on your trade. Having just traded a Tundra on my Raptor in December and having owned another Tundra prior to that, I know that Tundras tend to hold value very well. Unless you were upside down on a previous trade that got rolled into your Tundra or you literally just bought your Tundra, you shouldn't be that upside down in your Tundra.

My guess is that they are showing you a big under MSRP discount on the Raptor only to try to steal your Tundra from you. I would definitely do some research. Check the book values on your Tundra and compare those values to what the dealer is offering and also see what trucks similar to your trade are selling for in your area.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Buy the Raptor for $6k under and don't trade the Tundra.

Sell Raptor immediately for $4 more than you paid for it.

Buy another Raptor, trade Tundra, put $4k and $10k down and now bee in good shape. :biggrin: