GEN 2 Should order the front axle with TORSEN® Differential $500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After driving open front diffs in sugar sand for 15 years, and using the Raptor in that sand this fall, I'd order the Torsen again in a heart beat. Night and day difference.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not experiencing any torque steer issues either. When I read about the issue some were having I went out to try and replicate it. Nothing out of the ordinary. Tried both 4A and 4HI, no issue.

The torque steer is definitely noticeable. You won't notice it in 4A in tight turns since the front wheels are not engaged, but if you have it in 4A and you are making a right turn onto another street, you will definitely feel the torsion differential trying to straighten your wheel as you start coming out of your turn.

bumwhine

Reaction score
How many Raptor owners signed up to be part of your LSD buy? Oh that right, zero. Apparently no one on these boards is into performance either.

It isn't an LSD. It's an ATB differential. You also called it a lunchbox locker, which is a completely different thing from an LSD or an ATB.

You didn't help anything by spreading garbage misinformation into the thread. I'll take my 12 years experience in many forms of racing over your ignorance.

Your obsession with LSDs is a little over the top.

Look at the thread title, *******.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It isn't an LSD. It's an ATB differential. You also called it a lunchbox locker, which is a completely different thing from an LSD or an ATB.

You didn't help anything by spreading garbage misinformation into the thread. I'll take my 12 years experience in many forms of racing over your ignorance.

Not sure why you need to get so angry when other people disagree with you. I'm sure there are other forums where people street race their F-150s and they would love an LSD that is designed to work on dry pavement and operates at any speed. Unfortunately on these boards people are pretty happy with their lockers.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

An ATB is a type of LSD. This particular LSD/ATB however is NOT a ”lunchbox" unit. It is a complete carrier replacement differential assembly. Lunchbox units only replace the deferential internals (side gears, spider gears, etc.). Most lunchbox units are horrible, though not necessarily because of the differential internals, but because the OEM open carriers usually cannot take the added stress a locker or LSD places on it. The only exception I know of is the GM 14b full floater (open diff versions only). This carrier is nearly bomb proof and even the venerable Detroit Lockers for this model is a drop in...or lunchbox locker...and you can't buy a better one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

An ATB is a type of LSD. This particular LSD/ATB however is NOT a ”lunchbox" unit. It is a complete carrier replacement differential assembly. Lunchbox units only replace the deferential internals (side gears, spider gears, etc.). Most lunchbox units are horrible, though not necessarily because of the differential internals, but because the OEM open carriers usually cannot take the added stress a locker or LSD places on it. The only exception I know of is the GM 14b full floater (open diff versions only). This carrier is nearly bomb proof and even the venerable Detroit Lockers for this model is a drop in...or lunchbox locker...and you can't buy a better one.

I need to amend that statement... I have no idea if this OEM option uses an improved carrier design vice the same carrier in their standard open diff. I wouldn't assume either way. Someone with more knowledge on this option than me will have to chime in.

bumwhine

Reaction score
To clarify: an ATB has no-slip (unless in a zero axle load situation, where it behaves not unlike an open differential unless it's a Wavetrac) - not limited-slip - which is why it isn't really in the same group as LSD which are usually clutch or viscous type. ATBs also don't act on the same principles of a traditional clutch type LSD where forces vary the amount of slip allowed, and instead Actively Bias Torque (ATB). That's the distinction. I'll agree with you, it's generally not worth correcting, lol.

Jaz seems to think basically anything short of an e-Locker is a "lunchbox locker."

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just scattered my front Torsen diff today at the sand dunes in pismo, ca. Pretty loud went it all comes apart...and violent.