GEN 2 Should order the front axle with TORSEN® Differential $500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
64 bit,
Good move. I've had many 4wd vehicles/46 years, and driven thousands of miles off road...95% in sand. The Torsen in the Raptor has felt the best and definitely more pull in soft sand/off road. I've driven 4wd trucks with manual locking hubs with open diffs and never felt as confident as with the Torsen. I've also driven AWD Audi's and Subaru's and Isuzu Vehicross'. The Torsen is much better than an open diff; and allows steering that is nearly impossible with a fully locked diff; (I have driven trucks with locking diffs in deep muddy conditions, and they are almost impossible to turn).

jaz13,
99% of vehicles are sold with open diffs because an open diff allows the two drive wheels to turn at differing speeds. Driving straight this is unimportant. Turning it is VERY important as the outside wheel turns faster than the inside wheel. If the front wheels are locked in a turn one, (or both), of the wheels will slip causing excess wear of the tires, and uneven loading of the drivetrain. Off road locked front wheels will try to pull straight as both tires are pulling evenly...even when turned. Thus the vehicle will be much harder to turn, and take a greater distance to complete a turn.
An open front diff will allow the wheels to turn at different speeds, with traction being limited by the tire with the least traction. In effect it is really 3 wheel drive with a locked rear, or two wheel drive with two open diffs, (one front and one rear). In a straight line in even conditions, one wheel pushing and one pulling is more than sufficient to get you out of most predicaments. Having been stuck in sand enough times in 4 wheel drive with one front and one rear wheel spinning, being able to lock the rear, and having the Torsen limiting slip in the front makes a world of difference off road.
Lastly 99% of vehicles with open diffs are solely driven on road...

Eddie

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
64 bit,
Good move. I've had many 4wd vehicles/46 years, and driven thousands of miles off road...95% in sand. The Torsen in the Raptor has felt the best and definitely more pull in soft sand/off road. I've driven 4wd trucks with manual locking hubs with open diffs and never felt as confident as with the Torsen. I've also driven AWD Audi's and Subaru's and Isuzu Vehicross'. The Torsen is much better than an open diff; and allows steering that is nearly impossible with a fully locked diff; (I have driven trucks with locking diffs in deep muddy conditions, and they are almost impossible to turn).

jaz13,
99% of vehicles are sold with open diffs because an open diff allows the two drive wheels to turn at differing speeds. Driving straight this is unimportant. Turning it is VERY important as the outside wheel turns faster than the inside wheel. If the front wheels are locked in a turn one, (or both), of the wheels will slip causing excess wear of the tires, and uneven loading of the drivetrain. Off road locked front wheels will try to pull straight as both tires are pulling evenly...even when turned. Thus the vehicle will be much harder to turn, and take a greater distance to complete a turn.
An open front diff will allow the wheels to turn at different speeds, with traction being limited by the tire with the least traction. In effect it is really 3 wheel drive with a locked rear, or two wheel drive with two open diffs, (one front and one rear). In a straight line in even conditions, one wheel pushing and one pulling is more than sufficient to get you out of most predicaments. Having been stuck in sand enough times in 4 wheel drive with one front and one rear wheel spinning, being able to lock the rear, and having the Torsen limiting slip in the front makes a world of difference off road.

Eddie

Yes, you are correct, open diffs are superior in street applications, which was my entire point. The pronounced torque steer from the Torsen diff makes it unsuitable for most AWD applications. There have been numerous complaints on this forum due to the way Torsen equiped trucks feel when driven in 4A.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried 4A with some aggressive throttle application on my Raptor with Torsen, and while I did feel the steering wheel wanting to center itself it wasn't anything so severe that I'd even think about making a post about it. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if it weren't for reading about it on here and testing it out on my own.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have it and it's good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Yes, you are correct, open diffs are superior in street applications, which was my entire point. The pronounced torque steer from the Torsen diff makes it unsuitable for most AWD applications. There have been numerous complaints on this forum due to the way Torsen equiped trucks feel when driven in 4A.

Are you a stats guy? Or a driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had more snow than usual in Middle Tennessee this year and I went out more than I needed to in my brand new Raptor during slippery conditions just to play around. 4A worked great and I never activated the “snow/weather mode” one time.

I also goofed around in a large vacant church parking lot with a heavy foot and the traction control “nannies” seem to be worthwhile as far as I am concerned while driving in an urban slippery environment with potential other vehicles around.

I also went up a steep 300 yard slippery street/hill covered in same day non-plowed snow and my torsen equipped Raptor did it very well on it and climbed very strong. I have also blasted around a wet open and lightly muddy field in 4A and full wheel drive with the rear diff locked and it performed very well in full on “Hooligan” mode!

I’ve owned two other 4X4 trucks, but I’m new to serious off-roading. I have two Southern fairly easy muddy trail trips planned as well as a trip to Raptor Assault and MOAB in April.

I just saying that I am certainly glad that I have the Torsen front diff option on my 2018 Raptor!!!

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I should note that the Torsen diff is not a new technology... compared to a lot of other differential designs it certainly hasn't been around as long, but it has 20+ years of on-road history.

A bit about how Torsen diffs in general operate: https://youtu.be/x40WGUtdaLI?t=6m6s

That's a great video and really helps explain how it works.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried 4A with some aggressive throttle application on my Raptor with Torsen, and while I did feel the steering wheel wanting to center itself it wasn't anything so severe that I'd even think about making a post about it. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if it weren't for reading about it on here and testing it out on my own.

I cannot even make it out of my driveway without being annoyed by the torque steer in 4A. My three other cars are all high performance (inc one AWD), so no doubt I am more accustomed to the feel of tight and nimble steering.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I cannot even make it out of my driveway without being annoyed by the torque steer in 4A. My three other cars are all high performance (inc one AWD), so no doubt I am more accustomed to the feel of tight and nimble steering.

do your other cars have 315 wide tires in front?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We had it on our 2013 and 2018 since it was included in both option packages. While you do have some feel of "torque steer" when in 4A, I find it to be one of those things that you get used to with more experience in the truck. I consider it a small trade-off for the added benefits of the Torsen.

OP
OP

64-bit

Reaction score
64 bit,

jaz13,

Eddie

WoW! That is some great knowledge and experience, thank you so much.