Shipping question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vikingrl

Reaction score
My truck is coming from New Mexico to Southern California this weekend and I've never had a car shipped before so just a few questions. Do you let your insurance know the car is being shipped just incase it's stolen or something? I checked out the shipping company and they are insuranced and get good reviews but we are still pretty nervous. Do they check the car out when it's picked up? They said they did but just want some people who have experience with this to chime in. Any other advice would be great. Thanks!!

darkneo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is coming from New Mexico to Southern California this weekend and I've never had a car shipped before so just a few questions. Do you let your insurance know the car is being shipped just incase it's stolen or something? I checked out the shipping company and they are insuranced and get good reviews but we are still pretty nervous. Do they check the car out when it's picked up? They said they did but just want some people who have experience with this to chime in. Any other advice would be great. Thanks!!
New Mexico to SoCal? You should have just driven it here! Nice views and great eats in NM.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

Vikingrl

Reaction score
New Mexico to SoCal? You should have just driven it here! Nice views and great eats in NM.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I know but we have 2 small kids and no sitter to watch them, club soccer every weekend and we didn't want to each have to drive a car home 11 hours if we drove there.

shoalbandit

Reaction score
I have had many cars shipped over the years. Your truck is covered by the shipping insurance. Just make sure you use someone that is highly recommend with great reviews. Try and stay away from brokers. Owner operator is what I use. I'm on the east coast so don't know anyone out that way but one guy that makes a bi weekly trip from NC to Cali. I haven't shipped anything west in quite a while though.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you booked your transport yet? If not, you really need to do your research. Like Shoalbandit says, try to avoid brokers and check them out carefully. It cost nothing to become a broker and a lot of them are shady.

I used All American Trucking in CA, and they are sort of in between--they hire out the entire truck and only their loads are carried on it. But they dont own the truck, but know most of the drivers.

They also have their own insurance, if there is a problem, their policy covers it, you dont have to make a claim against your policy.

I only used them once and the driver was excellent. Arrived 3 days from WV to CA. Loaded my truck on the top and it arrived without issues... but I might have just gotten lucky.

OP
OP
V

Vikingrl

Reaction score
Have you booked your transport yet? If not, you really need to do your research. Like Shoalbandit says, try to avoid brokers and check them out carefully. It cost nothing to become a broker and a lot of them are shady.

I used All American Trucking in CA, and they are sort of in between--they hire out the entire truck and only their loads are carried on it. But they dont own the truck, but know most of the drivers.

They also have their own insurance, if there is a problem, their policy covers it, you dont have to make a claim against your policy.

I only used them once and the driver was excellent. Arrived 3 days from WV to CA. Loaded my truck on the top and it arrived without issues... but I might have just gotten lucky.

I did book transport and I did go through a broker but I did a ton of research on it and didn't go with the cheapest price either. So hopefully it arrives ok. I did contact my insurance and they are ok with the transport. Thanks everyone

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine with the shipment. The truck will likely be dirty when unloaded. Make sure to really look over from front to rear for paint chips and window chips, as BigRigs can and do throw rocks, and depending on where your vehicle sits on the transport, it may acquire one or two. Inspecting very closely and documenting prior to signing for acceptance will be key.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you getting enclosed trailer or open on a car carrier? I had my GT500 shipped to NJ from a dealership in North Carolina in an enclosed trailer. Arrived without a scratch and immaculate like it left the showroom. I had a brand new Boss 302 shipped on an open carrier from a dealer in Florida and it was covered with dirt when it arrived...looked terrible. I'd never ship open carrier again. The guy that owned the trailer the GT500 was shipped in was even more **** than me...he treated the car like it was gold. Earned a big tip for being so careful with it. Weather out there in CA is better than the east coast, so if you're going open carrier, you should fare better than me.

OP
OP
V

Vikingrl

Reaction score
Are you getting enclosed trailer or open on a car carrier? I had my GT500 shipped to NJ from a dealership in North Carolina in an enclosed trailer. Arrived without a scratch and immaculate like it left the showroom. I had a brand new Boss 302 shipped on an open carrier from a dealer in Florida and it was covered with dirt when it arrived...looked terrible. I'd never ship open carrier again. The guy that owned the trailer the GT500 was shipped in was even more **** than me...he treated the car like it was gold. Earned a big tip for being so careful with it. Weather out there in CA is better than the east coast, so if you're going open carrier, you should fare better than me.

It's a open car trailer but it's only 11 hours from me. So hopefully it won't be too bad.