Shifting Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So besides the kinda squishy brakes the shifting from 1st to 2nd in sport mode is kinda obnoxious.

Is this typical? Can't really stand not driving the truck in sport mode but the shifting from 1st to 2nd is super harsh when under light to moderate acceleration.

Any ideas?

Thx

17lbraptor

Reaction score
So besides the kinda squishy brakes the shifting from 1st to 2nd in sport mode is kinda obnoxious.

Is this typical? Can't really stand not driving the truck in sport mode but the shifting from 1st to 2nd is super harsh when under light to moderate acceleration.

Any ideas?

Thx

I can tell you mine does it as well. It also shifts hard in other gears in sport mode. When you say harsh I can feel the jerk in the seat and cab. I will say that if I use sport a lot it smooths out. If I don't use it for a couple days or so and put it in sport same thing rough shifts again. I also get occasional rough down shifts in standard mode.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, re: hard 1-2 shift in sport mode. Honestly, I drive mine in regular mode probably 98+% of the time... the way it hangs gears when rolling off of the accelerator in sport mode drives me nuts (i.e., accelerate up a freeway on-ramp, then roll off the throttle as you get up to speed... it'll stay in that gear for awhile).

I have to wonder if part of the hard 1-2 shift is because 2nd gear doesn't get much use, so it is a lot newer than 3rd...

spiekmic

Reaction score

Any ideas?

Thx

Quote from page 203 of the F150 Manual.

"Automatic Transmission Adaptive
Learning

This feature increases durability and
provides consistent shift feel over the life
of your vehicle. A new vehicle or
transmission may have firm shifts, soft
shifts or both. This operation is considered
normal and will not affect function or
durability of the transmission. Over time,
the adaptive learning process will fully
update transmission operation."

OP
OP
M

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just drive in regular mode more often and just turn the auto stop off. Main reason why I always put it into sport mode is I hate the auto stop.... Glad I'm not the only one who notices this.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just drive in regular mode more often and just turn the auto stop off. Main reason why I always put it into sport mode is I hate the auto stop.... Glad I'm not the only one who notices this.

Oh, yeah... disabling the auto-stop is part of my "getting ready to leave" routine along with putting the truck in gear and releasing the e-brake.

OP
OP
M

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ yea been driving it in standard mode today with the auto stop disabled much better for street driving over the sport mode. My wife was always complaining about the sharp jolt each time it shifted from 1 to 2

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from disabling the stop start, I also find the throttle response much better in sport mode. I do like that normal mode shifts more smoothly, but compared to sport mode it feels like I have to stand on the gas pedal to get anything out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ranger22

Reaction score
Aside from disabling the stop start, I also find the throttle response much better in sport mode. I do like that normal mode shifts more smoothly, but compared to sport mode it feels like I have to stand on the gas pedal to get anything out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use Forscan to disable auto start/stop. Then get a pedal commander and you'll have the perfect setup.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
^ yea been driving it in standard mode today with the auto stop disabled much better for street driving over the sport mode. My wife was always complaining about the sharp jolt each time it shifted from 1 to 2

My wife had the same complaints at first. I finally relented and let her ride in the cab instead of the bed. It’s a little chattier now, but not as much complaining.