Serious question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I frequently see trucks/cars with pictures and sometimes videos online with the license plates covered up or marked out. Is there some scam out there where people are counterfeiting plates? Can personal info be obtained from a license plate? If so, how is seeing a license plate online any different than seeing one on the road in the general public over the course of thousands of miles that your plates can be seen by anyone passing by? I guess it would make since if you took video of yourself going at a high rate of speed over the speed limit or running a stop sign or something but even then it seems like a stretch that any law enforcement would go out of their way to track you down and cite you unless it was some really heinous crime.

Not trying to be a smart ass to those who have done this but genuinely curious if I should be concerned about something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's just being wisely cautious. The plate can be looked up, someone could file some false report, or all manner of annoying crap you probably haven't thought of.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I frequently see trucks/cars with pictures and sometimes videos online with the license plates covered up or marked out. Is there some scam out there where people are counterfeiting plates? Can personal info be obtained from a license plate? If so, how is seeing a license plate online any different than seeing one on the road in the general public over the course of thousands of miles that your plates can be seen by anyone passing by? I guess it would make since if you took video of yourself going at a high rate of speed over the speed limit or running a stop sign or something but even then it seems like a stretch that any law enforcement would go out of their way to track you down and cite you unless it was some really heinous crime.

Not trying to be a smart ass to those who have done this but genuinely curious if I should be concerned about something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just a thinly veiled level of privacy. To be fair, any of us can be threatened by identity crimes if someone were motivated. The internet opens everything up and makes any of our lives/identities vulnerable.

Just because I don't post my social security number here on the forum doesn't mean I'm impervious to identity theft. There are bad people out there with wicked intentions. God will always have the last laugh and justice however and knowing Jesus is more than sufficient protection for me.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
with how easy it is to find all your personal information through social media/forums/websites/ect the list goes on and on and on.

i never cover my plate up because i know the real danger on the web is all the stuff you arent concerned with covering up.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never understood it personally, I drive around all day with it being seen by all.

X2
I blurred my plate out the first couple times I posted pictures on the internet. But for the last 15 years or so I haven't bothered.
Hundreds of people see this everyday in the summer.
Picture063WinCE.jpg

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I too wonder that... it is VERY DIFFICULT to get license plate information and is always a crime to look it up to gain personal information.

I was a Sheriff and it was beaten into our heads that looking up anything gone a plate for non-official business was a very serious crime and would lead to jail time.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
X2
I blurred my plate out the first couple times I posted pictures on the internet. But for the last 15 years or so I haven't bothered.
Hundreds of people see this everyday in the summer.
Picture063WinCE.jpg

Unfortunately, FRF doesn’t have a “I hate you” button, or I’d be holding that **** down on you. :flipthebird: :flipthebird: :flipthebird: :flipthebird: :flipthebird: :flipthebird:

I lusted after Grand National when I was 15, and they first hit the streets. I wasn’t into Buick, but damn I liked that car. Never did get one.

ok, maybe I’d back of the ‘hate you’ button and just settle for jealous.