Scratches or cracks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlickMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit: issue identified as actual cracks in finish on composite fender.

Dropped my brand new 2018 off at the dealership yesterday for the HPFP recall and received it back today with some extra fcukin headache in the form of scratches. This past Saturday, I spent 10 hours going over the truck paintwork with finishing polish and finally CQuartz ceramic. So I know every inch of this truck and it was flawless until I picked it up today.
I showed the service advisor who said he'd get back to me on a solution. But he and I both agreed that we weren't totally convinced they were scratches and could be cracks. Pictures don't do a great job of illustrating, I know. I could go either way but if I had to guess, id say some ****** tech had a watch on while working under the hood... You fill in the rest of the story. The panel in question: top side of left fender right at the seam between it and the hood, toward windshield.
Anybody want to chime in on experience with these fiberglass composite fenders and cracking? I'm totally ******* angry and generally sick over this right now. I know it's small but it's not acceptable.a112420b1da1c38c84ea5a535c4a13e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like scratches and scuffs to me. You try to buff them out yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SlickMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I took my truck off-road I realized scratches don't matter anymore.

Take your truck in the dirt get a few scratches having fun and you won't be so upset over a small scratch by the hood. It's a truck enjoy it for what it is, not a show car.
Ok so put more scratches on a brand new truck, there's one solution....
Anybody hear of fiberglass delamination type problems on this truck? I've searched but can't find anything. I'm not convinced it's scratches..

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SlickMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I got it home and under my lights.. definitely cracks in the finish, not scratches. No idea how they would accomplish this while performing the recall.

POOPonYOU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why they do their initial inspection of your car/truck before taking it back for service. I would have them fix it unless they identified it on their inspection sheet which I bet they didn't.