Sand Dunes in Gen2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a first time Raptor owner and I just moved to MI so I will be going to Silver Lake Sand Dunes this spring/summer. I have been there before on quads and dirtbikes, but never in a truck. Folks who have been to sand dunes in their Raptors, can you guys answer some of my questions please? I have already searched around the site and have found a few relevant threads but nothing related to the Gen2's and there were a lot of mixed opinions (which I will probably get here too).

1. Tire pressure for non-beadlock wheels - I have read that people generally go down to ~20psi but most are recommending starting a little higher, around 25-28 and going lower if needed. I am more worried about rolling a bead than getting stuck. Would 25 be ok on the K02's?

2. Flag mount - Where is a good spot to mount the 10' flag pole on the front of the truck? Will I need to buy/make a flag mount?

3. Does anyone have an idea if there will be a Raptor trip this year? I saw that there were trips in 2015 and 2016 with a pretty good turnout. Just wondering if anything has been planned yet...

Thanks

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i ran K02's at 18psi in the fall when a few of us went. Unless you're doing some crazy donuts or trying to get up on two wheels, its unlikely you'll roll a bead...

i bought a flag mount that uses a flat piece of steel and a ubolt to clamp onto a front tow hook at the campground we were staying at. then a zip tie around the flag pole to the grill bracketry to keep it from falling forward. worked great..

they require the flag to be mounted at the front of the truck and there's a height requirement also.. maybe 10 or 12ft high..

a few of us gen1s will be going multiple times this season. im sure there will be something posted here or on the fb group

OP
OP
CatchMeOffroad

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran K02's at 18psi in the fall when a few of us went. Unless you're doing some crazy donuts or trying to get up on two wheels, its unlikely you'll roll a bead...

i bought a flag mount that uses a flat piece of steel and a ubolt to clamp onto a front tow hook at the campground we were staying at. then a zip tie around the flag pole to the grill bracketry to keep it from falling forward. worked great..

they require the flag to be mounted at the front of the truck and there's a height requirement also.. maybe 10 or 12ft high..

a few of us gen1s will be going multiple times this season. im sure there will be something posted here or on the fb group

Thanks for the info!! Is your flag mount just from ebay or something? I found one for $60 but it's sold out. I could probably make my own out of a U-bolt and flat plate like you said...

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! Is your flag mount just from ebay or something? I found one for $60 but it's sold out. I could probably make my own out of a U-bolt and flat plate like you said...

no i bought it up there in Mears at a convenience store that sells the trail and OHV stickers....

I think it was about $45 with the flag and bracket

DXB-Stu

Reaction score
Although I am awaiting delivery of my 2017 Raptor I have been running 35"x12.5" KO2s on 17s on my wrangler unlimited for a while and in the deserts of the UAE they are fine down to 15psi without any issues on stock non-beadlocked rims. Even run them as low as 10 if we end up at the bottom of an unexpected bowl that someone else has rutted up.

OP
OP
CatchMeOffroad

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I am awaiting delivery of my 2017 Raptor I have been running 35"x12.5" KO2s on 17s on my wrangler unlimited for a while and in the deserts of the UAE they are fine down to 15psi without any issues on stock non-beadlocked rims. Even run them as low as 10 if we end up at the bottom of an unexpected bowl that someone else has rutted up.

Hala bil sheikh! Hello to my neighboring sand dweller :) I am originally from Kuwait but living in the US now, so I have been out in the desert many times, but never in a Raptor lol

Thanks for the input, I feel better knowing that there is plenty of margin before the tires roll off the rim.

Hope your truck arrives soon, you will love it!