Roof rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtopRaptor

Reaction score
Hey all
Sorry if this is a repeat subject, I searched and didn’t find what I’m experiencing. I have a rattle from my panoramic roof that is driving me nuts. The only way I can get it to temporarily go away is to vent my roof. That will fix the problem for about 48 hrs, I then resume with the annoying noise which sound like its coming from behind the first row of seats. I saw something on YouTube about adjusting the 6 moon roof supports but I’m not certain this morning is the same issue. It happens on small bumps, consistently...

Thanks in advance for your input

edit: 2017 gen 2 screw

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not have the dealer deal with this? This is one of many reasons why I hate sunroofs but unless I order a car from the factory I'm usually stuck with one.

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not have the dealer deal with this? This is one of many reasons why I hate sunroofs but unless I order a car from the factory I'm usually stuck with one.

2nd this... no way I was ordering a roof of glass on a vehicle that is going off-road hell even here in the northeast with the temp changes would be havoc

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all
Sorry if this is a repeat subject, I searched and didn’t find what I’m experiencing. I have a rattle from my panoramic roof that is driving me nuts. The only way I can get it to temporarily go away is to vent my roof. That will fix the problem for about 48 hrs, I then resume with the annoying noise which sound like its coming from behind the first row of seats. I saw something on YouTube about adjusting the 6 moon roof supports but I’m not certain this morning is the same issue. It happens on small bumps, consistently...

Thanks in advance for your input

edit: 2017 gen 2 screw

Have been having the same issue. Each morning when I opened the roof, it sounded like a vacuum seal was breaking...made this loud suction sound. When I hit bumps in the road, sounded like a can was rolling around inside the rear seat roof. I decided to try greasing the rubber seal around the Moon Roof (all the way around) because of that loud suction sound i got when I opened the roof for the first time for the day. I noticed that after opening it once, it did not make that suction sound on subsequent openings durning the same day. But suction sound returned once truck sat over night. This made me think that the seals were tacky, and maybe, thats why I was getting a weird rattle. LOOONG STORY CONCLUSION...the grease worked. No more rattle from my roof when I drive bumpy roads. Can't tell you why, but it worked. Give it a shot.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

2nd this... no way I was ordering a roof of glass on a vehicle that is going off-road hell even here in the northeast with the temp changes would be havoc

I've never had a dealer actually fix any of my rattles. Half the time they deny they can hear them. I am very good with GEN 1 door panels now though lol.

To the OP, check the F150 forums too. I figured out a lot of remedies for my rattles over there.

OP
OP
MtopRaptor

MtopRaptor

Reaction score
I've never had a dealer actually fix any of my rattles. Half the time they deny they can hear them. I am very good with GEN 1 door panels now though lol.

To the OP, check the F150 forums too. I figured out a lot of remedies for my rattles over there.

Hey
Good news, the rattle appears to be solved. I found some advice on YouTube, cleaning the back pano window seal with alcohol and putting a length of Teflon tape keeps it quiet. This is similar to the grease but won’t attract the dirt.

Trail_Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey
Good news, the rattle appears to be solved. I found some advice on YouTube, cleaning the back pano window seal with alcohol and putting a length of Teflon tape keeps it quiet. This is similar to the grease but won’t attract the dirt.

Can you post the YouTube link?

sp2pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^
Thanks for posting that link! I've been meaning to search and see what the fix for this was.
For anybody else that's gonna watch the video, he is very informative, but the fix starts at around 5:15.

OP
OP
MtopRaptor

MtopRaptor

Reaction score