Remote Start - Air Conditioning Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is my first vehicle with Remote start...

I usually shut my truck off in the Auto Mode (about 68 degrees). When I remotely start it everything works as normal but I notice when I get in the truck my air is blowing at a fairly slow fan speed and it isn't until I put my foot on the brake and hit the start button (802A) that the fans really kick it up and start really cranking out the cold air.

Is this normal? Kind of wish if I started it remotely it would put out the air flow needed to get it to the temp I had set when I left the vehicle. Summer is coming here in AZ!

OP
OP
JetDriver480

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow that would totally defeat the purpose to remote start for us warm weather residents...

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Jet go into your settings in the dash cluster screen. And change your ac settings to "last used" and whatever you leave it on when you get out is what comes on through auto start... I do it all day long full blast and slower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I believe if you’re climate is set to auto, when you remote start, the truck decides if it needs to fire up the A/C. I’ve had mine engage as low as low 70’s ambient. It seems to go to A/C with a medium to high fan speed.

It’s been fine for my application.

I haven’t tried it out in AZ like heat yet, just cracking the mid 80’s ambient, mostly about 80 flat.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that would totally defeat the purpose to remote start for us warm weather residents...

There are settings you can change. It can either save the last settings before you shut the car off or it will select things based on temps.

Automatic Settings
In hot weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The cooled seats are set to high
(if available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display).
In moderate weather, the system either
heats or cools (based on previous
settings). The rear defroster, heated
mirrors and heated or cooled seats do not
automatically turn on.
In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The heated seats are set to high
(if available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display). The heated rear
window and heated mirrors automatically
turn on.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be advised that starting any vehicle with accessories like AC turned on puts greater stress on the both the battery and the starter. The starter is of particular concern due to its physical design. The brass bushings at either end of the armature are subject to both wear and deformation, and those processes are accelerated with higher loads. Eventually the soft brass goes out of round, and as that continues the outer surface of the armature approaches the inner surface of the housing. When the armature begins to rub on the inner surface of the housing, the starter begins to draw greater and greater current in order to overcome the inherent friction. Eventually you get a dead battery, but the batter is only a symptom of a starter that must be replaced. Again, starting the engine with accessories on accelerates this process and should be avoided. Each vehicle's remote start feature is different, so care should be exercised to insure that the AC does not come on until after the engine is running.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it's hot out instead of using the remote I use the app to start it 5-10 minutes before I leave and when I get in the truck it's nice and chilly and the seat coolers are on.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Rango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be advised that starting any vehicle with accessories like AC turned on puts greater stress on the both the battery and the starter. The starter is of particular concern due to its physical design. The brass bushings at either end of the armature are subject to both wear and deformation, and those processes are accelerated with higher loads. Eventually the soft brass goes out of round, and as that continues the outer surface of the armature approaches the inner surface of the housing. When the armature begins to rub on the inner surface of the housing, the starter begins to draw greater and greater current in order to overcome the inherent friction. Eventually you get a dead battery, but the batter is only a symptom of a starter that must be replaced. Again, starting the engine with accessories on accelerates this process and should be avoided. Each vehicle's remote start feature is different, so care should be exercised to insure that the AC does not come on until after the engine is running.

Starter system in this truck supports auto stop/start to save fuel... Seems like if starting with the accessory's running was an issue, Ford will be replacing many starters under warranty.... :wink: