GEN 2 Rear Clunk Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I google searched this but found so many results with all sorts of issues that I thought I would just ask in case someone has an answer at the ready ...

I've noticed this noise coming from the rear of my truck almost from the time it was new. It happens infrequently at lower speeds and the best way I can describe it is that it sounds the same way as if I ran over a loose manhole. In fact every time I hear it I keep looking in my rear view mirror for a manhole but none is there. I don't actually feel it on the steering wheel or by the seat of my pants, it's just this dull clunking noise. For a while I thought that it might be something stored in my Decked system that was loose but then it did it when I had emptied it.

Anyone else have this, is it normal, or should I have it looked at? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for scheduled service and I will mention it, but if someone knows what it is it will save me some time over them having to drive it to diagnose it. Especially because I can't figure out how to reproduce it.

Thanks

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soulsea, I too noticed this a couple of times on the trip home and actually looked in rearview mirror once to see what I'd run over - nothing in the road. Not an alarming sound at all and I just chalked it up to "life with Raptor". My previous SCREW 4x4's would produce an occasional clunk/thump as well...good luck with your dealer and if anything surfaces, would be interested to hear about it.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
soulsea, I too noticed this a couple of times on the trip home and actually looked in rearview mirror once to see what I'd run over - nothing in the road. Not an alarming sound at all and I just chalked it up to "life with Raptor". My previous SCREW 4x4's would produce an occasional clunk/thump as well...good luck with your dealer and if anything surfaces, would be interested to hear about it.

This exactly.

Not often but once and a while....

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked rear tire pressure to see if they are overinflated?

Can't speak for the OP, but first thing I did at the dealer was check the tire pressure...all right at 38lbs. Going to try running at 34lbs this weekend and see if a noticeable diff in high speed handling...

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chalk this up to #MeToo. I hear this thunk when accelerating from 0 to around 30. All low speeds and going up a small incline. It is always at an intersection when I am turning right onto the next street going back from work, and only there. I have stopped looking back to see if I hit a whole in the pavement. I have now attributed it to the transmission in that scenario, but haven't been concerned to take it in.

ace75

Reaction score
I've noticed the sound too, probably about 3-4 times in less than 3000 miles, most of the time, I noticed the sound happening right after filling up at the gas station. It's a pretty loud metal thunk sound.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so it seems to be pretty common and normal ... just like everyone else I only hear it maybe once a week at most.

The filling up with gas thing maybe something to pay attention to, because the last few times I heard it I think I had just gotten fuel. I have to get some later today so I'll be on alert.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chalk this up to #MeToo. I hear this thunk when accelerating from 0 to around 30. All low speeds and going up a small incline. It is always at an intersection when I am turning right onto the next street going back from work, and only there. I have stopped looking back to see if I hit a whole in the pavement. I have now attributed it to the transmission in that scenario, but haven't been concerned to take it in.

Mine happens on slow speed rights or slow driveway articulation sometimes. I figured it was my Deavers or something but since some on here have stock leafs then who knows.

Ive also lubed everything up a few times as every time I take it out hard it comes back squeaky. The random clunk remains though.