Rear bed rack options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HGguy

Reaction score
I'm looking for options for a rear rack system that uses the stake pockets. I already have a tonneau cover installed that doesn't allow me to use a clamp on style rack. My application is to carry a hang glider which is roughly 17 feet long and 20 inches in diameter. It needs support in two locations. I have installed a Rhino Rack roof rack for the front support but still need a rear support. I only need one cross member, in the rear, so a full blown ladder rack would be serious overkill. I had a TracRack setup on my 2006 F150 (6.5' bed) that consisted of slide rails on the sides that were secured to the truck with expandable rubber plugs in the stake pockets. I attempted to adapt those rails to the Raptor but the slide rail is about twice as wide as the truck bed rail is in the back. Super ugly at best. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm using a make shift 2x4 kludge.

Gunnut

Reaction score
I think you would do better if you went to an aluminum welding shop that could custom make something for you.

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered this and I'm doing a custom install because I want to be able to remove it but still use my roll up bed cover. I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

tner-acs-1__90241.1492121803.1280.1280_zpsw3c2htjw.jpg

tner-acs-2__43196.1492123912.1280.1280_zps8tdybfdm.jpg

I'm looking for options for a rear rack system that uses the stake pockets. I already have a tonneau cover installed that doesn't allow me to use a clamp on style rack. My application is to carry a hang glider which is roughly 17 feet long and 20 inches in diameter. It needs support in two locations. I have installed a Rhino Rack roof rack for the front support but still need a rear support. I only need one cross member, in the rear, so a full blown ladder rack would be serious overkill. I had a TracRack setup on my 2006 F150 (6.5' bed) that consisted of slide rails on the sides that were secured to the truck with expandable rubber plugs in the stake pockets. I attempted to adapt those rails to the Raptor but the slide rail is about twice as wide as the truck bed rail is in the back. Super ugly at best. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm using a make shift 2x4 kludge.

OP
OP
HGguy

HGguy

Reaction score
I think you would do better if you went to an aluminum welding shop that could custom make something for you.

Agreed. I may have to go that route.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

I ordered this and I'm doing a custom install because I want to be able to remove it but still use my roll up bed cover. I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

tner-acs-1__90241.1492121803.1280.1280_zpsw3c2htjw.jpg

tner-acs-2__43196.1492123912.1280.1280_zps8tdybfdm.jpg

That's a nice looking rack but doesn't quite fit my application. Thanks for sharing it. I only need/want the rear cross bar. Still considering adapting the TracRac SR series system. Offers a lot of options if the rails fit right.