Rattle coming from underneath the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around 1000 miles into owning my 18 crewcab, the truck developed a pretty severe rattle underneath the truck behind the front skid plate. It does it at specific times, mainly in drive but also in reverse, but either stopped or lightly accelerating. If I'm stopped and it is rattling, the rattling will go away if I put the truck in park. It is loud enough in drive thru's that I need to turn the truck off. The dealer has heard it, but could not replicate it while it was in their shop, so they are frustrated with not being able to track it down.

I have gone underneath the truck with it in drive and my wife holding down the brake. Not the safest thing to do, but I felt the need to investigate. It seems like the rattle may be coming from the downpipes just as they turn and go horizontal. It also may be coming from the small, S shaped skid plate behind the main skid plate on the drivers side.

I don't believe it is coming from the waste gate. It has never done the rattle at start up, or in park, only when driving or stopped with the truck in drive. 2H, 4A and 4H all produce the same noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuEFDe7eRc

Any ideas? Truck sounds like it is falling apart!

*Edit, just to note, the rattle began before the install of my Borla Exhaust and Whipple Stage 1 Kit. Neither modification has made any difference in the noise.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this noise on a 18’ F150 loaner with less than 200 miles on it and I feel for you. Mine only did it while I was driving, usually under light acceleration, and it sounds like it’s coming from the driver’s side. Never happened while I was stopped or in reverse though. And your video doesn’t do it justice as to how loud it is! I had people across the street on the sidewalk turn around to see what was making the noise.

I follow a FB F150 group where someone recently posted a video about the noise. It seems to be the IWE. Attaching clipped responses below. Hope your dealer is able to identify it and get it resolved. As it randomly happened on mine, I was thinking of the poor guy who would eventually buy the loaner and having the dealer trying to troubleshoot the issue.

0f8efa5ed17d49e2fbbd8d74d3cb0ca4.jpg
1cc7b9533bc63c31041e4a20513072f4.jpg

luvawatch

Reaction score
I only have 2k miles on my '18 and it's making exactly the same noise in the video. Seems like it does that when the truck is cold and only occurs occasionally. Please keep us posted on what your dealer says. I'm just going to wait until I need an oil change to have them look at it. I'm afraid if I bring it in they'll say that they're unable to reproduce it and it'll be a waste of time. Thanks!

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I just had this same problem when I was prepping for Occotillo wells last week. It is a small skid plate. That is only held in by clips so when I hit it it would rattle. I took it off and put rubber insulators in it to absorb the vibrations. Looks like it is the tranny matinance Panel.

Correction looks to be much closer to the front oil pan accessor something. When I was under the truck I could pound on it with a rubber mallet to find the vibration. The panel only has clips to hold it, seems like it should have a few bolts in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArcticRaptor

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service shop called and said they think they have it taken care of. There were two rattles, both exhaust related. The first was the exhaust rubbing up against the heat shield at turns and on uneven surfaces. They said they had to slightly bend the heat shield up out of the way. They also found a couple of the exhaust hangers were slightly bent down and touching the cross members. He said they had tweaked them a little bit and it seemed to have done the trick, so they are going to turn it back over to me to let them know if it persists so they can dig further into it. They also mentioned that there was another '18 Raptor in that was having the same issue. Hopefully this is case closed for me, and helps somebody else with the same issue.

Mahoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an exhaust heat shield rattle at times and when turning up into my drive. Heard it the first 2 miles from picking it up. Bent the heat shield on the drivers side and never heard it again.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The service shop called and said they think they have it taken care of. There were two rattles, both exhaust related. The first was the exhaust rubbing up against the heat shield at turns and on uneven surfaces. They said they had to slightly bend the heat shield up out of the way. They also found a couple of the exhaust hangers were slightly bent down and touching the cross members. He said they had tweaked them a little bit and it seemed to have done the trick, so they are going to turn it back over to me to let them know if it persists so they can dig further into it. They also mentioned that there was another '18 Raptor in that was having the same issue. Hopefully this is case closed for me, and helps somebody else with the same issue.

Seems this is a new problem happening a lot on the 18s (17s never had this issue, as far as I've seen).