Raptors not made every day?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of days after I ordered my Raptor the salesman called and said to be prepared for a long wait because "Raptors are only built at certain times of the year". He said they are not like regular production vehicles which are continuously made. He said Ford will make some, stop production for a while and then make some more. That sounded like BS to me. I waited for 5 months for my 2012 Gen1 back then but only because I ordered in August and it didn't arrive until January. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of days after I ordered my Raptor the salesman called and said to be prepared for a long wait because "Raptors are only built at certain times of the year". He said they are not like regular production vehicles which are continuously made. He said Ford will make some, stop production for a while and then make some more. That sounded like BS to me. I waited for 5 months for my 2012 Gen1 back then but only because I ordered in August and it didn't arrive until January. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Judging by the build dates in RaptorFinder I would say BS. It is true they are only made at the Dearborn assembly plant and not at the Kansas City F150 Plant.

Mike

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There were long wait times for the 2017, but it wasn’t because they weren’t built every day. It was because Ford’s allocation system gives massive preference to large dealers who hoarded them for huge ADMs over actual customer orders from smaller dealers. I myself waited 6 months after ordering before giving up and buying off the lot. From all estimates the wait times are much shorter for the 2018.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You realize this was because these were stuck on ramp 59 for a plethora of quality problems, right?

Based on my analysis of the VIN issue date, the build date, and list date for every single 2017 I would disagree. That was a relatively small issue in the grand scheme of things.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
They come down the exact same assembly line as standard F150's. Ford does not start and stop the line unless there is a supply or quality issue. Raptor sales make up about 3%-5% of F150 sales. It is possible that they may have day(s) where no Raptor are built but it is not a cycle build. If they have orders they get built.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff

My dealer told me the exact same thing. He said that raptors are made specific days of the month but not other days.

Seems it wouldnt be an issue till it got to the body differences etc of the raptor..

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the 1990s when worked for a Ford supplier, I went to the Wixom Assembly Plant in Michigan, which as since been demolished. Anyway, at the time they were building Lincoln Town Cars and Lincoln Continentals.

The Town Car was RWD and the Continental was FWD. They were mixed on the line with no pattern. It's pretty amazing how the right parts managed to get to the right car on the line at the right time.

Mike