Raptor vs superduty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshuak172

Reaction score
Hey folks, I currently have a 2017 superduty which is a great truck but I'm really looking at the raptor for a few reasons. First, I do a lot of commuting and the raptor seems to be a much better commuter, a bit smaller, better ride quality, etc. On the other hand though we have a pretty large farm and the use of a superduty is quite nice on the weekends. Ideally a superduty raptor would be awesome.

Really, I'm just looking to rationalize the purchase of the raptor. Anyone have a raptor and use it for farm use as well?

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell your 2017 SD for a beater farm truck and pick up a Raptor for Starbucks? If you just got your SD you will take a pretty big hit on it.

Spud

Reaction score
I've been using Raptors for farm trucks since 2013. I don't tow much, and all I have for cargo is ~150lbs of tools. I've had no complaints so far. It has been the cheapest vehicle maintenance wise I've ever run for a farm truck. Buy one, you won't regret it, unless your towing over 8,000lbs or need over 1000lbs payload.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
The ecoboost will NOT be a cheap maintenance item. Get a gen 1 raptor if you have to have one.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my Raptor in the oilfield and farm use half the time, and personal use half the time. I've always mostly owned and build 3/4 ton trucks, but the Raptor does handle work pretty well. You can make a lot better time in the rough stuff or the mud. I put 500 + lbs in the bed and it handles it no problem. If I'm towing over about 6000 lbs I'll grab one of the Super Duties or Ram 2500s, but the Raptor tows pretty well too other than burning a lot of fuel compared to a diesel. For your commuting, the Raptor is way better than a 3/4 ton in my opinion.

And don't listen to Sasquatch, he has no woman or full time employment so he comes to the Gen 2 forums to troll. Guys even posted his terrible online dating profile... The mods feel too bad for him to ban him, it's all he has :(

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation but couldn't justify having two trucks. Traded my '16 2500 Cummins for the Raptor. Definitely loved having the capability of the Ram but the Raptor is a much more entertaining daily driver, and i don't tow heavy anymore.