Raptor tunes vs. drive modes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I was commuting to work this morning, I found my thoughts wandering, as they usually do ("Damn, I coulda gone for another hour or so of sleep... Hey there, bonehead, are you really gonna pull out in front of me? Radio sucks SO bad in this town... I wonder what we're gonna have for dinner tonight..."), and it occurred to me that it may be possible to have multiple custom tunes worked up for the Raptor that are selected via the drive mode... so it may be possible to have a tuner set the performance in "Normal" mode to, say, mimic the factory "Sport" mode (in regard to throttle mapping, transmission shift points/firmness, etc...), then have the "Sport" mode offer even more aggressive throttle mapping and transmission parameters...

Yet another question is if actual engine parameters (boost/fuel/timing maps) can be tweaked/stored/selected on a per-drive-mode basis. So maybe "Normal" mode is a towing tune built around, say, 89 octane fuel, while "Sport" mode is a street performance tune built around 93 octane. There may be some interesting possibilities here...

Reaction score
I'm used to that in the Volkswagen world, e.g APR tuning. It really depends on the sophistication of the ECU and a tuner's knowledge of it's inner workings. I like the idea of different octane and towing based mappings. Yes, I'm aware the ECU will compensate for octane, to some extent, but it's nothing like a custom tune with boost, fuel and timing maps. So, who's top of the food chain for Ford tuning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
B

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really doubt the different modes are connected to fuel/boost mapping.
I kinda do, too, but I was hoping that since "Baja" mode does some creative things like the anti-lag (though that is still primarily a modification of the throttle), that there may be some flexibility there.

Edit: Mostly confirmed that you're right... just talked to a buddy of mine at Ford who says no way. Ah, well... woulda been cool.

Last edited: