Raptor Sales Alltime Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
There is a dealer on youtube showing the invoice of a fully optioned truck. Dealer is already making $5000 selling at MSRP also there is $2000 holdback. They would still make $2000 grand if they sold at near invoice. Greedy Fockers. I live in the middle of Arizona and have yet to see one in person either on the road or at a dealer.

Gilligan

Reaction score
The same 5-10 Raptors have been sitting on lots near me for 2-3months now thanks to the absurd prices.. Combine that with what seems like lower production numbers and the OP probably isn't very far off

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
Well if you can't get a new one you can always find a J1 poverty Raptor. They're on used car lots everywhere.... :lol2:

Perauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend just bought a truck here in VA and getting it shipped to California and its still cheaper than trying to buy in Cali.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a dealer on youtube showing the invoice of a fully optioned truck. Dealer is already making $5000 selling at MSRP also there is $2000 holdback. They would still make $2000 grand if they sold at near invoice. Greedy Fockers. I live in the middle of Arizona and have yet to see one in person either on the road or at a dealer.

You DO realize that dealers are in business to make money, right? They aren't there to make sure that you have a place to buy a car/truck, or to give people jobs, or to make cheesy radio/TV commercials. If they could make money without doing any of that, they would.

Now, given the understanding that the dealer is there to make money, it only makes sense that they would want to make as much money as possible, right? Makes sense to me. Let's look at your information, here... between holdback and standard markup, the dealer is making $7k per loaded Raptor sold at MSRP, right? For the sake of argument, let's assume that ALL Raptors are loaded (it will make the math easier... but the core argument will remain true regardless). Now, put yourself in the dealer's shoes... you can gross $7k on a single truck sold at MSRP, or, if you want to, you can be THE go-to Raptor dealer around and sell them at invoice. At this point, you're still grossing $2k per truck (the holdback), right? Only now, you have to sell 3.5 times as many Raptors in order to gross the same $7k as before. Now your people are working harder, your make-ready teams are prepping 3.5 times more Raptors, etc..., and what do you get out of it? On an allocation-constrained niche vehicle? It's not like a regular F150 where you can order all that you want (and realistically expect to receive them), and even if you could, there are only so many potential Raptor owners out there... as much as we dig these trucks, the long and short of it is that it's just not everyone's idea of an ideal truck (which is fine... maybe they need more payload or towing capacity, or feel that the styling is over the top, or whatever).

So, while I would rather keep that $5k standard markup in my pocket than put it in the dealer's hands (duh), I get it... he's there to make as much money as he reasonably can, and it's up to me as the consumer to decide whether the product is worth the money that he's asking for it. Besides, how can the dealer, as the supplier of the product, determine what (price) the market will bear for the product he's offering? Realistically, he can't start low and increase the price until he quits moving units (especially given allocation constraints)... he has to start high and lower the price until he starts moving units.

All that said, it is frustrating to deal with as a buyer/customer... but once you consider the dealer's perspective, it only makes sense.

johnjoemd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comment above. Way to long. Only read the last paragraph. Disagree with the last paragraph. Most car dealers are slime balls. Buying trucks is one of the biggest pain in the ass. I got my truck MSRP but then they ***** me on trade in. Dealers are not your friends. They just want you to believe that's the case.

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is currently 1 2017 Raptor for sale in the entire state of Alaska and it's listed at $15k over MSRP. I got mine for $5k over from the same dealer and they acted like I should thank them for the "great deal." Honestly, I was just happy I finally found a truck and was able to buy one. No regrets and I absolutely love the truck. The dealer told that when I eventually want to sell it, bring it back to them and they'll be happy to buy it back from me.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I havent seen a raptor stay on a dealership lot more then a week (I take that back, the only dealer I know of in Michigan that has them in stock is asking $15k over sticker)....everyone else at $5k or so over sticker sells in a week or less. $2k over and they sell same day or so.

When I picked up my truck the sales guy said not one G2 had sat on the lot longer than 24 hours.