Raptor Sales Alltime Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor has never been a bargain vehicle. If you were purchasing new between '10-'14 you either leveraged a good credit score/down payment or had a good amount of disposable income. At no point in time was the Raptor a blue collar truck.

I guess blue collar doesn't make as much in Texas as it does in Louisiana ;)

Around here just about anybody could afford a Raptor when they first came out. As it got to 2013, 2014 it moved more upmarket and now with gen 2 even moreso.

ssj4sadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Around here just about anybody could afford a Raptor when they first came out. As it got to 2013, 2014 it moved more upmarket and now with gen 2 even moreso.

I was having a debate with a co-worker about what defines blue collar/white collar. Long story short yes a "blue collar" worker could "afford" a Raptor. But that would be an exception not the rule. In '10-'12 the economy was shit and a $45K truck was on the high end of cost.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having a debate with a co-worker about what defines blue collar/white collar. Long story short yes a "blue collar" worker could "afford" a Raptor. But that would be an exception not the rule. In '10-'12 the economy was shit and a $45K truck was on the high end of cost.

Yeah really depends. There were definitely some layoffs with the recession, but at the same time that was an oil boom so all the offshore guys were doing better than ever and the shale was a new thing.

All the plant workers, plumbers, electricians, welders and the like that I know or come into contact with make really good money and have done so for a long time. Tons of blue collar guys make more than white collar.

Overall in my experience, when the Raptor first hit, it was more like any guy just splurging a little on his next truck. But since a couple few years ago, everytime I meet someone with a Raptor he's usually a business owner, physical therapist or a CPA or something.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
I definitely have not seen many 2017 Raptors- actually just two since February. The area is definitely saturated with gen 1 trucks.

canikony

Reaction score
There is a local dealer with a 20k mark-up, wonder if anyone will actually bite at that price. I'm in no position right now to purchase, hopefully in a couple years when the demand for the gen 2's has subsided and MSRP or slightly below is possible.

ssj4sadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah really depends. There were definitely some layoffs with the recession, but at the same time that was an oil boom so all the offshore guys were doing better than ever and the shale was a new thing.

All the plant workers, plumbers, electricians, welders and the like that I know or come into contact with make really good money and have done so for a long time. Tons of blue collar guys make more than white collar.

Overall in my experience, when the Raptor first hit, it was more like any guy just splurging a little on his next truck. But since a couple few years ago, everytime I meet someone with a Raptor he's usually a business owner, physical therapist or a CPA or something.

Ok I'll concede on the plant/oil workers that were working a ridiculous amount of overtime making good money and being able to afford it. But what happened to a lot of those guys over the last year+? Also I think they are a small portion of the blue collar workforce. If you're making less than $65,000 buying a Raptor new would be dumb regardless of the collar you wear.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey brother, define "afford"? Not trying to be difficult here, honest question.

A $50K+ vehicle is nothing to sneeze at unless you're a professional athlete or a big whig in the private sector. My occupation provides me and my family a very adequate and comfortable living in Texas. Texas offers one of the most favorable costs of living in the US (even the world). This is further enhanced by the industry and of course the higher pay (even for blue collar) thus providing more buying power for he "average joe".

Even then, a $50K+ vehicle is still quite a bit to shell out. I bought a 2013 SCREW pre-owned because I could not afford it when it first came out. In my opinion, to afford something by definition entails being able to outright pay for it. If one has to make payments over 60, 72, 84 months on a vehicle, they actually can't afford it. They are just willingly going into debt for a depreciating asset. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in debt currently with a house note (working on paying that off early hopefully) and we've financed cars and other big purchases in the past....but never more. Now, if we don't have 100% of the funds to buy it, we don't buy it.

It's still a bit astonishing to me how many "younger" folks on here are able to afford a Raptor and/or other flagship vehicles listed in their avatar or sig. How the heck does someone "afford" a Ford GT or a Raptor in their early 20s? or even Late 20s? Yes there are a few exceptions that have pointed out to me in another thread that they started their own business very early on...good for them.

But unless we are talking about professional athletes, successful venture capitalists (a lot of that is luck...right place at the right time), day trading (maybe? doubt it), tycoons of some sort (I doubt that at such a young age)....I would just assume most of the younger folks are financing a Raptor with mega substantial payments or parents bought it for them.

An affordable vehicle is a Honda Civic and MAYBE an Accord. Accords are very nice cars but they aren't exactly cheap either. Just saying.

David

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

That still is the case today. $45K vehicle is still "high end" from what I gather for the working class...blue or white collar.

This generation and mine (Gen X) have this illusion of the American Dream that is so easily attainable. We just go out and finance everything to enjoy "the finer things" in life. While it's understandable from a "you only live once" perspective, it's just not smart. It's important to pay yourself first, but it's also prudent to save and invest and GIVE. It says in the Bible, that God will bless those many times over the more generously you give. There's absolute truth in that.

David

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

This is more so the conventional demographic for a vehicle of this price level. If people make a ridiculous income relative to the average Joe, they can truly afford these flagship vehicles....CASH.

David

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

And another thing, these plumbers and electricians make 6 figures? Because that's really the only scenario I could fathom them being able to truly afford a brand new Raptor or any flagship vehicle for that matter.

"Good income" is also very subjective. To some, "good" is $45K and others "$250K".

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor Enthusiast... we live in a world where if you can afford an $800 rent/mortgage, you can afford an $800 Raptor payment.

Sure, but it's not the smartest management of one's money to have a car payment equal or more than the rent/mortgage. But to each their own.

David

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Raptor Enthusiast... we live in a world where if you can afford an $800 rent/mortgage, you can afford an $800 Raptor payment.

I'll admit, I've always loved and wanted a Raptor since their inception. But I would never want one so badly that I would live from paycheck to paycheck just to pay for it.